𝟏𝟕

±
°

ALEXA CARSON

ALEXA CARSON

"Good morning children" her sickly sweet voice fills the room. Umbridge starts walking to the front of the classroom and starts writing on the board with her wand. "Ordinary wizarding level examinations. O . W . L's. more commonly known as owls" she says standing at the front of the classroom now facing everyone and still smiling. "Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so the consequences may be severe" she says the last word with more emphasis than the rest.

Then with flicking her wands to the books they start floating towards each of the students. "Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven" a book that reads : Dark arts defense Basics for beginners slides on my desk and I examine the cover. We're in 5th year not 1st year. "But you'll be pleased to know from now on you'll be following a carefully structured, ministry approved course of defensive magic" she continues.

Hermione raises her hand and umbridge replies with a yes. "There's nothing in here about using defensive spells" Hermione states. "Using spells?" umbridge laughs like what hermione said was funny. "Well I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my class" she says to hermione. "We're not going to be using magic?" ron questions. "You're gonna be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way" she says.

"Well what use is that if we're going to be attacked it won't be risk free" Harry says and I laugh quietly at this. "Students will raise their hands when they talk in my class" Umbridge says strictly and then she smiles again. "It is the view of the ministry that a theoretical knowledge will be sufficient to get you through your examinations which after all what school is all about" she says.

"But that is so stupid" i blurt out. Oof why do i gotta speak. Umbridge looks at me like I killed her pink dog. "Knowledge is useless if we only know how to write it, not apply it" I say. Harry nods at this and says "and how's theory supposed to prepare us for what's out there" harry says about anger in his voice which I can understand because he has lost too much to death eaters.

"There is nothing out there dear. Who do you imagine would want to attack children like yourself" she replies to harry. "Oh I don't know um lord Voldemort" Harry says to her and the whole class starts murmuring. "Now let me make this quiet plain. You have been told that a certain dark wizard is at large once again. This.is.a.lie" she says hugely emphasizing the last part. "Its not a lie. I saw him. I fought him". " detention Mr. Potter!" she yells. "

So according to you Cedric Diggory dropped dead of his own accord" harry says and I laugh at this but Umbridge hears me. "Detention for you too Ms. Carson" she says looking me in the eye then turns to harry again. Well shit. "Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident-" harry then interrupts umbridge. "It was murder. Voldemort killed him. You must know that-". "Enough!" umbridge shouts and shuts up harry.

"Enough" she says more quietly this time. "See me later Mr. Potter and Ms. Carson. My office" she giggles weirdly and starts the lesson. My mind wanders off during the rest of the lesson because whatever she is saying is boring as hell. Honestly, who even approved her? If the ministry did i can't even imagine what the rest of the people at the ministry are like.

The lesson finishes and I walk out of class, dreading my detention later with Umbridge but in the back of my mind Malfoy is still present.