forty - two ; fearless

"You know this doesn't make any sense. We're sitting in your car in the middle of a thunderstorm eating ice cream." Sam said, licking the melted parts of his strawberry ice cream before they dripped off the cone and onto the driver's seat of Rosy's car.

"What do you mean? It makes perfect sense. I had a craving for ice cream and you took me to get some like the amazing boyfriend you are." Rosy said, licking the chocolate ice cream from around her lips, already halfway through her cone.

"But shouldn't we be eating something warm because of the weather?" Sam asked and Rosy shook her head.

"See, if it were a winter thunderstorm then that would make sense, but since it's a summer thunderstorm we need to eat ice cream." Rosy explained in a matter-of-fact tone. "Are you done with yours?" Rosy asked, shoving the last piece of her cone into her mouth and wiping her sticky hands on her jeans.

"Almost," Sam said, finishing the last of the ice cream, leaving only the cone behind. "Why?"

"It's a surprise. Come on, hurry up." Rosy said and Sam stuffed the rest of his cone into his mouth, curious to see what would happen next.

"Done." He said, his mouth full, and Rosy grinned.

"Come on," She said, unbuckling her seatbelt and pushing the passenger seat door open before running out into the rain. She stood there for a second, letting the rain soak her from head to toe, and then Sam was beside her.

"What are we doing out here?" Sam yelled over the rain and Rosy turned to him with a wide grin.

"You know the song 'Fearless' by Taylor Swift?" Rosy asked and Sam shook his head, making his blond hair, which was already soaked, sweep to the side of his forehead. "Oh, I have so much to teach you. But, anyways, there's this one lyric that goes 'and I don't know why but with you I'd dance in a storm in my best dress'. And so, here we are in a storm, and this isn't exactly my best dress, but it will have to do." Rosy said, gesturing down to her soaked Queen t-shirt and dark jeans. "So, come on, Benjamin B. Bicklebaum, dance with me."

She held out her hand to him and then let out a surprised laugh when he took it and twirled her around. They danced around the parking lot, a waltz, like they had when they'd sung 'Can I Have This Dance' a couple of months ago, and even though Rosy nearly slipped and sent them both crashing to the pavement several times, it was still one of the best nights of her life.

•••

"Hey, are you okay?" Puck asked, snapping Rosy out of her flashback and making her jump slightly.

"Huh? Yeah, I'm great." Rosy said, blinking as she reminded herself that she was in the cafeteria for lunch with her friends, not in some random parking lot dancing with Sam in the rain.

"Your elbow is in your mac and cheese." Finn pointed out and Rosy looked down to see that her elbow was deep in the cheesy yellow pasta and was now stained yellow.

"Crap, who knows what's in this thing, now I'm probably gonna get a rash," Rosy said, pulling her arm out of her pasta and using the napkin Puck handed her to wipe it. "Okay, what were we talking about?"

"My audition for the school musical, I need to crush it, I have to play Maria." Rachel said and Rosy nodded.

"I'm sure you'll do great, Rach."

。.☆.。

Rosy was walking out of her calculus class, trying to balance all the books in her arms, and she let out a curse through her clenched teeth, which were clamped down on a pencil, when her calculator slipped through the space between her chest and elbow. She shut her eyes, waiting for the loud crash sound it would make, probably breaking the brand new calculator she had gotten for calculus, but stopped when it didn't come. She opened her eyes and turned to see that Luke was standing beside her, her calculator in his hand, inches from the floor.