Chapter 12

*Secret Research Facility 

*Evan/My POV 

We stepped into another room, this one even bigger than the command room we found earlier. Hundreds of seats lined both sides of what appears to be an auditorium, its roof well over 20 or even 30 meters above the floor. At the far opposite end of the room, there was a podium. A few enormous monitors hanged on the wall behind it. These ones were turned off, projecting not a thing. 

"First a control room, then a conference room, and now an auditorium. Not too surprising, I suppose." Tallinn remarked before dropping a used cigarette on the floor and stepping on it. 

"This must be the heart of the facility. Unlike the control room though, the screens in here are all turned off." Belorussiya looked around. 

"It's not hard to imagine they simply switched off the power here after they'd evacuated everyone." Tallinn remarked. 

I pulled back an empty chair at a desk nearby and examined its spine. It looked a lot like the chairs we sat in during a meeting at Naval HQ quite some time ago. They had buttons on the back that would power on the screens. Wait. I know this room! I barely had time to react before I blinked. 

"...More electronic interference? How is that possible? We are deep below the surface and should be immune to any kind of jamming." Dr Aoste remarked. 

"Zero, survey the surrounding waters and determine if there are hostiles approaching." Dr Aoste instructed the Commander who went outside and looked around. 

"What's going on?" I asked. Like last time, no one paid any attention to me. Just then, the Commander came in again and shook his head. 

"Nothing of the sort? I see." Dr Aoste acknowledged. 

"It seems to have been an equipment malfunction." The Commander remarked before pushing a button on the device that Dr Aoste was working on. 

"And you fixed it? Thank goodness it was nothing more than that." Dr Aoste thanked the Commander. 

"You're welcome." The Commander replied. 

"Why would there be a hardware failure now though...? Diagnostics were performed on the system yesterday and everything was in working order... There must've been some reason for it..." Dr Aoste asked. 

"The audience is getting anxious." The Commander pointed out. 

"Yes, you're right... We'll look into the source of the malfunction later. It may well have been the result of the solar flares we've experienced of late. Apologies for that. Our equipment suffered a malfunction, but the issue has been rectified. Rest assured, this auditorium is completely closed off from the outside. No electronic signals can get in or out. Furthermore, we are safe with Antiochus's fleet guarding the perimeter. With that behind us, let us continue where we left off. Standing with me today is the leading expert on the study of Wisdom Cubes. This individual may have a solution to the issue of metamorphosis which plagues us so. Allow me to introduce–" Before Dr Aoste can continue, everything started disappearing. 

"Sir Evan!"

"Le Capitaine!"

 I woke up to alarms going off and Le Triomphant and Lady Forbin shaking my body

"Hurry, Commander! We've gotten all the info we can, so it's time to get out of here!" Gremyashchy urged.