Chapter 14

*Outside of the secret facility 

*Evan/My POV 

A centipede leg came out of nowhere and penetrated Belorussiya's second turret, blowing it up. 

"Damn... My second turret's been disabled! How's the rest of the fleet?!" Belorussiya demanded. 

"Gremyashchy and Gromky are still resting... And we're about to run out of ammo." Kirov replied. 

"Murmansk and I have suffered varying degrees of damage, but we're still able to fight. We've lost nearly all of our mass-produced ships except for the icebreaker, but... we didn't have that many to begin with, and they don't have the same maneuverability as we do." Tallinn added in. 

"We'll have to make do without. I didn't expect to make it this far in, so I didn't bring as many mass-produced ships as I could have." Belorussiya commented. 

"Long time no see Evan." A familiar voice alerted me and a certain centipede king approached us. 

"Royston!" I exclaimed. 

"We met again Evan." Royston commented. I casted elemental magic at him but he dodged.

"Your opponent is not me." Royston said before stepping aside, revealing a humanoid siren 

"Enforcer III will be your opponent." Royston replied. 

Enforcer III went into battle position and waited for our move. 

"I suppose this is goodbye for now." Royston said before teleporting away. 

"We can't keep this up forever. How are we supposed to maintain our defenses while also holding the evacuation point?" Tallinn asked after more sirens appeared. 

"Damn, I can't believe the Sirens got the best of us... I thought it was impossible for there to be enemies like these still hidden after all the surveying we did!" Kirov became frustrated. 

"This is a terrible failure on our part, but we shall assume full responsibility. Even should we all fall, Comrade Commander must not be lost here! Kirov, Tallinn, Gremyashchy, take the Commander and our Iris comrades aboard the icebreaker and make for the exit. Everyone else, we make our stand here!" Belorussiya instructed. 

"Sorry, Belorussiya, but I don't intend to sink without seeing what's on the other side of that iceberg!" Tallinn objected. 

"We might have a better shot if we all stick together and press forward. What's your opinion Comrade?" Kirov asked me. 

"I disagree with both of those options." I replied. 

"...I know you don't like making sacrifices, but the world cannot afford to lose you here." Kirov remarked. 

"If this is actually a "Reenactment," then there is no escape route anyway." I replied. 

"Reenactment? How were you able to come to that conclusion, Comrade?" Belorussiya asked. 

"Reality is a harsh mistress. I've already tried lining up the map to the information we recorded before, and I'm not seeing an exit." I replied. 

"I see... As much as I don't believe in giving up, I don't think I have the strength anymore to search for the control device for this Mirror Sea... I'm sorry, Comrade. This might be it for us." Belorussiya gave up. 

"There must be another way." I refused to believe that this is the end. 

I looked at the city of light and saw that the lights were dimming. Dimming lights? 

Please fight until the last light has faded

"Everyone! I know how to get out of here!" I exclaimed 

*Timeskip 

"So, we're supposed to hold until all the lights go out?" Gromky asked. 

"Judging by how things are going, that might take a few more hours at this rate." I remarked. 

"Will everything disappear once the lights go out? I don't think we can hold on that long..." Murmansk asked. 

"Don't give up so soon! We may be cornered, but we must grasp onto this lifeline and hold on to it no matter what!" Kirov exclaimed. 

"Instead of trying to retreat, we'll focus on buying as much time as possible. Commander, please continue to lead us!" Tallinn exclaimed 

"I'll protect you, even if all I have left is my flail. Mm, that's all." Gremyashchy said. 

"Everyone... It's been an honor to fight alongside all of you." I replied. 

"The feeling is mutual, Comrade. Now, fight with everything you have until this false light is extinguished!" Belorussiya exclaimed.