Chapter 18

*Evan's/My Azur Lane Base 

*Evan/My POV 

After arriving back in my base, I went to look for Veneto. 

"Aquila, how are you feeling?" I heard Veneto asking someone this question. Wait. Aquila? 

"Just fine. My planes and my rigging are all in good shape." I heard an unfamiliar voice reply. Planes and rigging? There is no doubt that this is the aircraft Carrier Aquila. She was undergoing static tests when Italy surrendered. 

"Excellent." Veneto replied before I joined in. 

"Veneto. We're going to the stone structure in a few days time to rescue Vincenzo Gioberti." I said. 

"You've informed the high command already?" Veneto asked me. 

"The higher ups are concerned about the stone structure." I replied. 

"I see." Veneto remarked before turning to Aquila. 

"Aquila. He's the Commander." Veneto introduced me to Aquila. 

"Good day to you, my Commander. I'm Aquila, aircraft carrier from the Sardegna Empire." Aquila approached me and shook hands with me. 

"Good day to you too Aquila. I'm Fleet Admiral of Azur Lane." I replied. 

"Our meeting today is no mere coincidence. No, it must be a gift from Fortuna herself, I'm sure of it. Anyways, is it true that we're going on an operation in a few days?" Aquila asked me. 

"Yes. We're rescuing Vincenzo Gioberti." I replied. 

"A rescue mission? My planes can help!" Aquila commented. 

"Yes." I nodded my head 

"I'm sure I've got the hang of this...! Take flight, my planes!" Aquila launched her planes. Her planes took off from her flight deck where they flew around in circles. 

"Aquila, I think that's enough, call your planes back." I instructed. But Aquila's planes aren't coming back for some reason. 

"Aquila, call your planes back." Veneto instructed. This time, Aquila hurriedly called her planes back and stowed them  in her rigging. 

"I'm so sorry, my Commander and Lady Veneto... It was just so mesmerizing watching them fly around..." Aquila apologized. 

"It's okay." I replied 

"You've been working hard, so it's only understandable to appreciate the beauty of your planes soaring through the sky. Of course, you'll have plenty of time after this to fly them to your heart's content." Veneto commented. 

"Thank you! I won't let both of you down!" Aquila thanked us. 

"We'll be counting on you then." Veneto replied. 

"Yes ma'am!" Aquila exclaimed in response. 

"If you excuse me, I'm going off with the Commander to discuss about the operation. You can fly your planes if you want." Veneto informed Aquila before turing to me. 

"Let's discuss about the Operation Commander." Veneto said before walking off 

*Timeskip 

*Pacific Ocean 

"Lady Veneto, look over there!" Aquila pointed at the stone structure in the distance. 

"That's our destination!" I replied. A few days has passed since I met Aquila. We were sailing to the stone structure to rendezvous with Jabil, Mash and Admiral Kenneth. My fleet consists of Enterprise, Illustrious, Veneto, Aquila, Libeccio, Maestrale, Duca degli Abruzzi and Nicoloso da Recco. 

"Evan! Admiral Kenneth is there!" Enterprise informed me. 

"All shipgirls follow me!" I instructed before setting course for Admiral Kenneth's fleet. 

"Fleet Admiral Evan reporting sir!" I said after receiving contact from Admiral Kenneth's fleet. Enterprise Illustrious and Aquila launched their planes to investigate the stone structure but once the planes came close to the stone structure, they were blocked by an invisible wall. 

"What?!" Enterprise exclaimed in surprise. 

"My planes are just coming to a halt... They're not getting damaged, but there doesn't seem to be any way past this invisible wall!" Aquila informed me. 

"I'm able to get a birds' eye view of the stone structure. It seems to be some sort of a labyrinth, but there's some kind of haze coming from the passages that makes it impossible to see." Illustrious reported. 

"North Carolina, blast through this wall!" Admiral Kenneth instructed his North Carolina to bombard the wall. 

There was an explosion after Admiral Kenneth's North Carolina bombarded the wall but when the smoke cleared, the wall is still up. 

"Everyone! My planes located an entrance! Follow me!" Illustrious exclaimed