Greed Island - Chapter 3

Lynn's POV:

The setting was white, and all that was there was a bizarre-looking door. The door opened, and I slowly walked through to find myself in a room with lots of radiant lights. A lady with silver hair wearing a helmet was sitting in front of me.

"Welcome to Greed Island. You must be Ms. Lynn Azrelt." She greeted. "I will now explain how the game works. Are you interested in listening?"

"Oh, um...yes please." I stepped forward, now inches from the young lady.

"In this game, two magic spells are available to anyone wearing a ring. They are called Book and Gain. Place the hand wearing the ring in front of you and say, 'Book.'" She instructed.

I held my hand wearing the ring in front of me, just like she told me to.

"Book." I said, and a book suddenly popped up right in front of me, startling me.

"You see, in this game, your task is to seek out and collect certain cards. That book is for storing all the cards you've collected. Please take a look at the first page."

I opened the book and noticed there were numbered slots.

"Each slot is labeled with a number. With these, you can only place cards if the number corresponds with the ones on the slots. These are your 'specified slots.' Please flip ahead a few pages."

I did so and noticed there weren't any numbers on these slots. "These slots aren't numbered." I pointed out.

"That's right. You may place any card you choose in these slots. These are your 'free slots.' There are 100 specified slots, numbered 0-99. Then, you have another 45 free slots. To clear the game, you must fill in all 100 specified slots. More specifically, you must obtain 100 cards and put them in your book after you have transformed them." She explained.

"Transform?" I asked.

"That's right. If you obtain a sword for example, it will instantly become a card. If you wish to use the card as the item, you must use the spell, 'Gain.' However, once you've returned a card to its item form, you can never transform it into a card again. If you want the card version of the item again, you must reacquire it. Do you understand everything so far?"

"Yeah." I nodded my head.

"There are two other cases where an item can't become a card. The first is when you reach the item's maximum card conversion limit." She continued explaining.

"Card conversion limit?" I asked.

"Yes, every item in this game has a limit to the number of times it can be converted. For instance, if an item has a conversion limit of three, and there are three players who have already converted the item into a card, the fourth player will be unable to convert it into a card. Secondly, a card will automatically revert to an item unless it's in your book within one minute."

"Oh..." I muttered.

"In this case, as well, you can never convert that item into a card again. Do you get it?"

"Uh-huh." I nodded in understanding.

"Finally, the most important word of caution." She began, and I listened up to hear it. "In this game, if a player dies, their book and ring will be destroyed, and the contents will cease to exist. In other words, it's game over."

Oh gosh, this game really is dangerous. If we're planning to clear it fast, we must know how everything works and ensure that we focus on the objective. Who knows what will be in our way once we start the game?

"That concludes my explanation. You'll need to learn everything else about the game by playing it for yourself."

"I understand. Thank you very much." I bowed down, and a stairway opened from beneath the floor. I looked down in awe.