13th Hunter Chairman Election - Chapter 41

"Hey." The man known as Gon's dad only said, looking rather pissed off.

"Ging!" The boy beside me ran down the stairs to the front rows, leaving his slippers behind. I followed him, walking down the stairs and standing one step above him.

"I'm sorry! It's all my fault! Because of me...Kite turned into a little girl!" He cried to him, tears visible in his eyes.

"He'd been captured by the enemy. That's what I heard last time." Ging, untouched by his son's apology, replied.

"Yeah, I was with him when it happened. He told me to run away, and Pitou showed up. After that, Kite lost his arm. I was knocked out, and then we started training! Shoot was able to get Kite out of the Ants' nest, but it wasn't really him anymore. It wasn't Kite at all! What they did to him...it was horrible!" Gon explained through sobs, and his dad sighed. "When I ran into Pitou again, they told me...they told me Kite was already dead!"

"Okay, I get it! Well, maybe I don't get it, but sit down." Ging gestured to the empty seat beside him, sweating nervously. "Uhhhh...let's just try to calm down, okay? You and me."

"It was because...that I insisted...on having my way!" Gon sniffed with each pause, still staring at his dad with those puppy eyes of his.

"A-A-Anyway, let's calm down first. We can talk over this." Ging told him, getting flustered.

"It's not fair! I should have been the one to die!" Gon cried, making me gasp softly in shock.

"Gon. That's not true. He brought you along because he thought you can handle the mission. He underestimated the enemy. That's why he told you to run. If he hadn't thought you capable, he wouldn't have let you accompany him, no matter what you'd say. He just misjudged the enemy, that's all."

"But—"

"I know. You were too weak to help him, so you should feel responsible."

"Mmm-hmmm." Gon nodded.

"Don't make the same mistake. And you should apologize to Kite, not me. From your words, I'm not really sure if he's dead or alive, but either way you should apologize!" Ging demanded, pointing to the exit.

Gon sighed.

"When apologizing to a friend, there's a rule. Do you know it?"

Gon shook his head. "No. Tell me what is it."

"You must make them a promise. Promise them that you will do things differently next time. And you will keep that promise no matter what."

Gon sighed again, then he nodded in agreement.

"Now get going!" Ging urged him.

"Right!" The spiky-haired boy ran back up the stairs and stopped to look back at his dad. "Ging?"

"Hmm?"

"Can we...talk some more later?"

Ging grumbled. "That might be tough. I'm a pretty busy guy, you know?"

"That's crap, Ging!" Someone in the audience complained.

"Aren't you his father?!" Another person shouted.

"How cold can you be?!" Someone else complained.

"I know all about 'Greed Island!' You never went to see Gon after he cleared it! What's the deal?!" Another person from the audience shouted.

"All of you, shut up! It's none of your business!" Ging shouted back at them.

"You're the worst, Ging!" A woman shouted.