Chapter 37

The installation of the prosthesis had been painful. Nakamara had refused any anesthetic, assuring that if he hadn't bothered to give it to his son, he didn't deserve to have it. He passed out by the end and Thoki brought him back to his room to rest until the morning of the festival the next day.

That morning Nanaya and Teiji got up very early. Some last minute preparations had to be made. They were also promised breakfast there, so they immediately got dressed when they got out of bed to leave. But Teiji stopped in front of the door as he put on his mask.

"Wait," he said. "I'm still going to let Thoki-san know we're leaving now. I saw a light under his door, he's probably awake."

"I'm staying here. "

Teiji rubbed his head affectionately and walked over to the butler's room, just off the kitchen. Most of the time, he didn't use it since he slept with Nakamara. But the master of the house needing rest, he had spent his night here. The medic knocked on the door and opened it without waiting for permission.

Thoki was on the ground, doing push-ups on one arm, the other on his back. He lifted his head and stopped to stand up and stretch.

" A problem ?" The man asked.

"... You're damn well preserved for a centenary." Teiji muttered.

"Centenary? How nice you are. Two hundred and fifteen years already, you know? Well ... I'm stuck in this body for eternity, I have to take care of it. "

Teiji raised an eyebrow and shifted his gaze to the huge scar that crossed his chest, right in the place of the heart, the numerous ones that marked his throat, and the bandages that concealed his wrists. He grimaced and pointed to them, snarling:

" Oh yeah ! And that is also to take car of it ?!"

"Are you worried?"

"First, I'm sure Nakamara or Nanaya don't like it. And second, I specialize in medicine. So yes !"

"...I see. If that's any reassurance, I haven't tried anything in at least two months."

"Great... well... I was just coming to warn you that we were leaving."

"Don't you want me to cook you breakfast?"

"We'll have one there. Take care of Nakamara."

"Yes. He will certainly want to come early. We'll see you there."

"Yeah. See you later then. "

Teiji greeted him and joined Nanaya to leave. The students who had decided to sleep there were of course already there. Kotaro was chatting at the entrance with Kenji who had just arrived, as well as with the directors of Saurity and Darkeas.

"Back to school is tomorrow." Shadow assured. "So your things should be moved to Saurity's dorm tonight at the latest."

"Do I have the right to use my power for this?" Kotaro asked, annoyed.

"Of course." Starlight confirmed. "I have no problem with that."

"I live quite far away... could I stay in the dorm tonight again?"

"You didn't have a single vacation day with them." Kenji replied. "Don't you want a few hours with your family?"

"... they come to the festival. It's enough. Oh. Nana-chan! "

He skillfully avoided the conversation by welcoming his friend. The two adults were puzzled, but Shadow remarked that it was not uncommon to be in conflict with his parents at his age. Kenji was only half convinced of this, but preferred not to continue the discussion and welcomed Nanaya as well.