Chapter 56

Nanaya woke up the next day in the infirmary. But he wasn't alone. If Thoki had to return to the mansion to take care of the animals, Nakamara had wanted to stay. He was sitting in a chair, his head resting on his arms, on the bed. He didn't seem to have slept much.

The teenager rubbed his eyes. The room was dimly lit by the faint light of dawn slipping through the curtains. He straightened up slowly, wincing. The power of Phen-X only removed the pain by half.

His movement woke his father who straightened up immediately.

"Nanaya, you are awake!" He exclaimed. "I am sorry. You were endangered by my fault ... once again ..."

"I was the one who wanted to protect you. And I would do it again without hesitation."

"... I don't deserve a son like you."

Nanaya smiled hugging his father. No, he wasn't going to hesitate for a second if he had to save his life again. He pulled away and put a hand on his cheek.

"You look exhausted." He muttered. "And your eyes are red."

"I was too worried to sleep... and maybe I panicked a little too much during your fight. I could hear the attacks, but I couldn't see anything."

"Rest now. I'm fine."

"No, you're not doing well. Your treatment will last a while and you will have to take care of it. Maybe you shouldn't go to summer camp."

"Of course I'm going! I would keep calm. Either way, Teiji will be there."

"And I won't let you do anything." The nurse's voice cut off.

They looked up at him. Simply dressed in a jogger, no mask and disheveled hair, he had just woken up.

"Do you know my room is right next door?" He said with an amused smile. "It is four in the morning."

"Four ?" The teenager wondered. "Really ? S... sorry..."

"It's ok. How are you feeling ?"

"Wonderfully good, why are you asking?"

"The twins taught you to be sarcastic."

The nurse smiles. It wasn't bad if he started talking and acting like a real teenager. He gave him a glass of water and gave him painkillers. Then he threatened Nakamara to force him to swallow sleeping pills if he did not go to bed.

The businessman kissed his son's forehead and followed Phen-X to sleep with him in the next room.

Nanaya swallowed the painkiller and lay down again with a sigh. It was Hyokko who approached. He had preferred to stay away and give them a little time between father and son. But he was just as worried.

"You shouldn't have pushed so hard." Sobbed the guardian in a low voice. "I was so scared ..."

"I'm fine Hyokko. I even believe that I could succeed in making the peaks again. Maybe it helped me eventually."

The creature pouted, unconvinced. Nanaya gave an amused smile and pulled him into a hug.

"I am sorry." He muttered.

"Hm... Everything is fine. You are alive. Volcano is in prison. And you were amazing. I... I think you were meant to be a magical boy after all."

"... thank you Hyokko. But I apologized for being so cold to you at first. I actually like you, you know."

"Hah... you're adorable."

Hyokko smiled and snuggled up to his human to sleep there. Nanaya kept his arms around the creature, enjoying the contact of its soft fur.