Chapter 41: I Love You More

2 weeks later

It was currently the day before Christmas Eve, and everyone in my family was running around trying to prepare food for the next day, order anything that hasn't been ordered, and clean the house. My grandparents flew in a couple days ago (both sets), and were sitting in the living room playing bridge since they all claimed they were too "old and frail" to help.

I know that is a lie, because just last year, my dad's father and his wife competed in a half-marathon. They are both very avid runners, and like to keep in shape. So anyways, while they played bridge in the living room, I was tasked with making the side dishes for tomorrow. There wasn't too many to make, but my parents wanted almost everything done tonight that way we didn't have to worry about it tomorrow night.

The way Christmas in my household works is all the family comes over on Christmas Eve, we drink, eat, and have fun. Then, we open presents at midnight. After that, any extended family members usually leave and we're left with a couple of my aunts/uncles and a few stray cousins. Someone always ends up too drunk too drive home.

But this year is going to be different.

Since Parker's family is coming too, we're going to open presents around 8pm, that way once we're done, they can go home and do their own thing with their family.

Which in turn means all the food has to be done earlier, hence why we're cooking most of it tonight. Family and friends are welcome to bring their own dishes, though.

Anyways, I was currently trying to make a cherry pie, but it wasn't going too well, because my idiot of a boyfriend kept distracting me. We were Facetiming, because he was also helping his mom cook a dish that she will be bringing tomorrow night, but he refuses to tell me what it is. He also keeps making me laugh, which isn't a bad thing normally, only when it causes me to put salt in the pie instead of sugar and then I have to start over from scratch.

"Blaze, hurry up and make the pie. It's not that hard!" Parker exclaimed. "Yes it is!" I huffed. Now, I'm not a bad baker, but I'm by no means a top notch pastry chef. I can make something as long as I have a recipe to follow, and it usually turns out okay.

"I would have had this finished already if you weren't distracting me all the time," I glared at him.

"It's not my fault you keep getting distracted by your amazingly hot boyfriend. What can I say, I'm a stud? Girls are very easily distracted by me." He shrugged his shoulders and smiled at me as he mixed something together in a bowl.

"Are you ever going to tell me what you're making?" I asked.

He shrugged at me. "Nope, it'll be a surprise. And it won't kill you to wait one more day to find out." I glared at the screen, hoping he could feel my annoyance through it. I really did not like surprises, and I was a very impatient person, so him making me wait this long to find out was going to be torture. He also hadn't given me any clues about what my Christmas gift is.

"Blaze!" My mom shouted from the living room. "I need your help setting up the living room for tomorrow. You can put a pause on the baking to come help me for an hour."

"Okay, I'll be there in a second," I yelled back.

I turned back to my boyfriend, and told him that I had to go and that I'd call him later. Him and his family would be coming over around 6pm tomorrow, which gave us the rest of today and most of tomorrow to get the house and ourselves ready before any guests arrived.

---

2 hours later, and I was exhausted. An hour longer than my mother had told me it would take to set up the living room.