Chapter 32: The truth is out

Parker waking up was a miracle, according to the doctors.

They had expected him to take upwards of a month to wake up, but he did it in under a week.

"Damn overachiever," I joked as I bumped Parker's shoulder. He chuckled a little at my joke, but then clutched his side in pain.

"Are you alright?" I asked. "Do you need me to go get the doctors?"

"No," he replied, putting his hand on top of mine to stop me from leaving. "I'll be fine, I just need some time to recover. My injuries really aren't that bad."

I scoffed. "Says the one who hissed in pain when he only laughed a little bit."

Parker just rolled his eyes at me.

"But, seriously, you aren't in any pain, right?" I knew he told me he was fine, but he would lie to me so I wouldn't worry.

"Blaze, I'm serious. I really am fine. Yes, my injuries were bad and hurt a little bit, but it's nothing I can't handle."

"Fine, but the second you are in pain, you need to tell someone. Promise?"

"Promise," he said. He held his pinky out and we locked our fingers together.

A few minutes later, I gathered up all my stuff and left. I had some homework I had to do and I had to study for a test I had coming up.

My mother was also waiting for me in the lobby, too.

When I got to the lobby, I saw that my father was with her. I started to walk over to them, but stopped in my tracks when I saw Parker's parents walk in and make eye contact with my parents.

I know his parents don't hate me, and mine don't hate him, but I can't say the same thing for our parents. From the thick tension forming, I think it's safe to say they still don't like each other. Maybe I can try and resolve some of the hatred.

Putting a smile on my face, I walked up to both sets of parents. "Hey guys!"

My father turned to me with a frown on his face. "Blaze, let's go. You don't need to be in the presence of the Kings." The way it said it made it sound like he ate a sour lemon and was spitting it out.

"Dad, please, stop this. They are good people, and so are you. There is no reason for all this hatred. Why can't you guys just get along? At least do it for the sake of your kids," I tried to reason with him, but his stone cold face was making it hard to tell if it was working.

"No, because people don't change. Once a thief, always a thief. They do not deserve our forgiveness, not after what they did."

Now it was Parker's dad's turn to speak up. "And what would that be exactly? From the way I remember it, you guys are the one who abandoned your company and my father, just so you could run off back to your country."

"WHAT?" my dad shouted. Okay, this was starting to escalate and people around us were starting to stare. "You have no right to say something like that. And anyways, we didn't run away back to Sweden. We were forced back there because your father stole the company out from under my father's feet and we became penniless. We were forced to go back, because we could not afford to stay here anymore."

"The only reason we came back is because we worked our asses off back home in order to save up enough money and come back. There were days when we skipped meals just to save up a couple extra dollars. There were days in the winter when we did not have heat, because we didn't want to waste money using it. When we finally saved up enough to come back, we saw that you had turned our company into a multi-million dollar corporation, and did not give us any credit for starting it."