Chapter 7: You're not invited

Recap:

He tried to say something else, but I pushed him out the door just in time.

"Blaze? Where are you?"

"Back here Dad!"

Present:

"Why are you home so early?" I asked him.

"Someone is supposed to be coming over to look around our backyard to install the new hot tub," he replied as he set his phone and keys down on the counter.

"Since when are we getting a hot tub? Didn't you always say it was a waste of money since we already have a pool?" I asked.

They never mentioned anything about this to me which was odd considering they usually told me if they were doing something major like this. Then again, they aren't required to tell me everything.

"This is just one your uncle is giving us. Apparently they haven't used it in almost 20 years, so they were willing to give it to us for free. All we have to do is fix it up a little which shouldn't cost that much. Hey, who's phone is this?"

I glanced down and saw that Parker had left his phone on my counter. Shit! I can't let my dad know it's his.

"It's just Stephen's new phone. He was over here working on a project with me but had to leave because of a family emergency."

"Oh, well hopefully everything's going to be okay. I'm just going to head out front and wait for the guy to get here."

"Okay, bye! Make sure you keep a good eye out for him!" I rushed as I pushed him out the door, eager for him to be gone.

The moment he was out the door, I grabbed Parker's phone and ran to the backyard.

"Parker?" I whisper-yelled. "Are you still out here?"

I prayed to whatever God is above that my dad hadn't heard or seen him. "Yeah, I'm over here." I looked in the direction his voice came from and noticed he was hiding behind the trash cans.

"I'm glad that you're still here." Parker raised an eyebrow. "Really?" He said with a slight smirk on his face. "Oh shut it Parker. You forgot your phone. How else would I have returned it to you? I'm sure you will need it before school tomorrow."

"Yes, because responding to all my siblings is so important," he said this as he rolled his eyes.

"Are they really that annoying?" I'm only have one older brother, so I don't know what it's like to have any super annoying younger ones. I always begged my parents when I was younger to have a little sister, but of course that never came true. I was stuck with my brother, but it turned out all right in the end.

"Yes, especially when you have 5 of them."

My eyes bulged out of my sockets. "FIVE!? Damn, your parents must've been getting busy," I mumbled the last part.

I heard Parker chuckle a little, but then voices came from the side of the house. "Shit! The guy's here already. Let's go around the opposite side and then you can make your clean getaway."

I grabbed Parker's wrist and run around to the opposite side of the house. Once I made sure my dad and the guy were in the backyard, I let go of his hand and handed him the phone. "Here's your phone, now make sure you leave before my dad sees you."

He did as he was told and silently left my house. A weight lifted off my shoulders when I saw his car speed out of sight.

Oh my god, that was so stressful. I did a quick sweep of the inside of the house to make sure Parker didn't leave anything else before I went upstairs to my room to take a nap.