Chapter 34

The Past

Detective Merton shakes her head.
"We can't arrest him without proof"

A week later and I'm still resting up in the hospital. I figured I'm safer here for now before I decide to make a move. I hadn't seen Deacon since we found out about Dimitri. He wasn't texting me back or picking up my calls. It was driving me crazy. What kind of a husband is he.

"I know" I respond "that's why I came up with a plan to make him confess"

"Oh yeah and what might that be" she asks.

"I'll threaten to post what I know on social media" I mumble.

I wasn't proud of my plan and I knew it could be way better but for now that's all I have. Detective Merton laughs.
"That's never going to work" she says "he'll probably claim deformation of character and you'll be the one getting arrested"

She had a point. Her eyes shift to the TV screen above my head.
"Oh and it looks like his youngest son is got married, they'll call it jealousy too"

What?

I turn around and for the life of me I almost suffered from cardiac arrest. On the screen was a nightmare. I take the remote and turn the volume up.

"Handsome bachelor Deacon James, youngest son of Dimitri James gets married. This comes as a shock to his adoring fans after he had disappeared from social and public platforms for months. The news was even more nail biting when we noticed that his bride isn't the young girl that he came back with only months before but his high-school sweetheart Evelyn Pryce... "

I see myself next to Deacon as we're getting off the plane. I couldn't believe my eyes. He married another woman. Without telling me or asking if I'm okay with it. Why would he do that. I mean I know he told me that he's falling for her but I didn't think he'd marry her. She got the wedding I deserved.

"Seems like trouble in paradise" the detective sighs "is he on board with this"

"I am"

Deacon walks into the room with a bouquet of roses.
"Detective can you give us a moment" he asks.

Detective Merton walks out the room.
"What the fuck Deacon" I say as the door closes "you married her"

"I didn't have a choice" he says.

"You could have at least warned me" I say "after disappearing on me for a week without any communication you come back with another wife"

"I married her because our parents want their businesses to be merged" he said "but I'm still with her because I love her"

"You love her" I repeat "I'm beginning to wonder what love is to you"

"Don't do that" he says.

"Do what" I ask "rip the band aid off"

"You're being unfair"

"I'm being unfair? I'm fearing for mine and your daughter's lives and I'm being unfair!"

He takes a step towards me.
"Please let me explain"

"I don't want your explanation"

"Well I'm giving it to you anyways" he says.

"Evelyn was pregnant" he says "she miscarried the day I left the hospital. She was in bad condition and I was taking care of her. I'm sorry that I didn't tell you. My father forced us to get married two days ago just after her recovery. I never got the chance to use my phone. It was in his office all day and obviously you know he won't answer your call"