Work it Out

AN - this was a request from @Pheebs2005. Hope you enjoy it!

"Lizzie, why did I get a call from your agent telling me 'not to worry about the articles.'"

I watched as her face paled.

"'What articles?' I asked her, and you know what she said?"

She shook her head slowly, her mouth opened slightly and her eyes wide.

"'Oops.' She said 'oops.' Then I had to go and google your name to see what she was talking about."

Her eyes shot to her hands which were busy fiddling with the rings on her fingers; a nervous habit I knew she had when she was uncomfortable and on the verge of a panic attack.

I pulled out my phone and brought up the gossip article from the previous day, showing her and Robbie kissing at their business lunch, and showed it to her.

"This is what she was talking about."

"Y/N, I -"

"Don't. Just ... tell me why."

"I didn't kiss him. He kissed me. I had a few drinks over lunch and he just leaned over and ..."

"Looks like you kissed back."

"I was drunk! It was familiar. I-I didn't want to."

"So, he forced you?"

"Not ... exactly."

I ran my hand over my face, sighing frustratedly.

"I think we need a break."

Her wide emerald eyes filled with tears and I had to look away from her or my resolve would break. She kissed him. They kissed. I swallowed roughly, stuffing my phone back into my pocket.

"It was a mistake!" She cried, twisting her rings in panic. "I-I didn't do it on purpose. I was trying to figure out how to tell you."

I averted my eyes, biting down hard on my lip, I shook my head.

"Goodbye, Elizabeth."

"I love you!" She sobbed, making a move to approach me.

"I love you too," I replied, holding back tears. "And that's why I need to go."

"What do you mean I still have to go to the premier?" I yelled into the phone at her agent.

"It's in her contract that she goes with a date."

"Let her take Robbie," I spat bitterly.

"She can't. His agent has him laying low for a while. Apparently more photos of them came out that made him look a little less than gentlemanly."

"What do you mean?"

I could hear her sigh over the phone.

"He was being very grabby with her. The record company he's under had the photographers paid off so that wasn't shown."

I held my head in my hand, sighing deeply. So he had taken advantage of her.

"Fine. I'll go." I relented.

"Thank you," she breathed a sigh of relief. "I'll let her know and you can meet her there. I'll send a car."

There had been traffic on the way there and her agent was flooding me with texts asking how long I'd be since Elizabeth was already on the carpet getting photographed. I ignored them, stressed out enough as it was. By the time I got there, she was halfway down the red carpet and they ushered me in to meet up with her, despite my reluctance.

Once I finally caught up to her, I stayed back, watching as she worked the cameras. I shouldn't have been so quick to judge the situation. She tried telling me what happened but I just didn't want to hear it. I was an idiot.

"Elizabeth, where's Y/N?"

"Is it true they left you because of your makeout session with Robbie last week?"

"Are you back with Robbie, Elizabeth?"

"Was Y/N just a phase, Elizabeth?"

I could hear the questions being thrown at her and I tried to see who was asking them. There were so many voices asking so many questions, I turned my attention back to her, watching as she fiddled with her rings. Oh no.

"Lizzie!" I called out, drowned out by the roaring of the crowd asking her questions about us and about Robbie.

I pushed through security, desperately trying to reach her before this got out of control. I could see her panicking, her breathing heavy, her eyes glassy with unshed tears.

Finally making my way over to her, I wrapped my arms around her, pulling her into the tightest hug humanly possible.

"Y-Y/N?" She stuttered softly before returning the hug, practically collapsing in my arms once she realized it was me.

"Shh, bug, I'm here. You're okay. Just breathe."

"I-I can't," she whispered.

I looked around before rushing her off the carpet into the venue. Her having a panic attack in public wasn't going to help her mental state surrounding all this drama. Once we entered, she cried, gripping at my shirt tightly.

"They-they kept asking and he-he just did it, I didn't ..."

"Hey, hey, Elizabeth, listen to me. Listen to my voice." I tried to calm her down. "Can you name three things you see for me, bug?"

With ragged breaths she looked around.

"You. Chandelier. Door."

"Good girl, okay, see? You're okay."

She nodded with me and I smiled, brushing the tears from her cheeks.

"It's all okay. You just need to breathe so you can calm down."

"I didn't want to, Y/N. It was a mistake."

"I know it was. I spoke to your agent. She told me everything."

She looked at me confused and I realized that she had no idea what I was talking about. Of course she didn't, she told me she was drunk, she probably couldn't even remember half of what happened.

"She said there were photos of Robbie being inappropriate with you."

"There were?"

I nodded.

"It's all okay. You're okay and we're okay."

"We are?"

I nodded again and she threw herself into my arms. I held her tightly, not wanting to let her go for even a second. We had both fucked up but I knew with time it would be okay. We could work it out.