Chapter 30 - The Mills family

Emma's POV

Present time

The woman that Killian and I met in the woods, Regina, led us back into town. On the way she started to explain a little but she wanted to show me something in order for me to understand properly. So far I know that she was in danger of being banished from the enchanted forest and she fled. Whilst she was on the run, she stayed the night in a tavern where she met her current fiancé. They fell in love instantly and after a few weeks she told him her plans for a spell that would make a sheltered corner of the land without magic, protected and magical again. He suggested that they make the place a safe haven for all who wanted a second chance to start a new life. So that's what they did, or tried to do! All I know is that someone tampered with the spell and made it so that everyone who wanted a second chance at the time was taken and swept up in a dark curse. 

"So why exactly have you been waiting for me, and when you say long time how long is that?"

"Well the curse froze time so technically its been 2 months since the curse struck but its also been around 20 years, no one really knows!"

"20 Years?!?" Killian speaks for the first time since she led us back to town, he mostly just eyed Regina curiously maybe he recognises her too. I know her from somewhere but I can't quite put my finger on it. 

"Yes Guyliner, 20 years! Listen next time, is he really your true love?" The last part was directed at me. 

"Yes! I love him, who are you to judge who I love? I don't even know you!" I shouldn't snap at her but she sounds just like my parents. 

"I'm so sorry, I didn't realise that was a sensitive spot. I meant it as a joke, please don't take offence." Well at least she apologised. 

"I'm standing right here you know." Killian looked like a sad puppy and I laughed at his face. 

I was about to reply when Regina suddenly led us up the path to a large house that wasn't quite a palace but was definitely a change compared to the small cabin of the Captain's quarters on the Roger. 

She led us to the door and opened it, stepping inside and taking off her boots. 

"I'm back! I found them by the way." Shouted Regina up the stairs. I heard some small hurried footsteps running above us and then saw a small boy about 5 years old bounding down the stairs and then bounding through the hallway towards Regina who suddenly had massive smile on her face. He had a round cheeky face and middle length ebony hair.

When he reached her he jumped into her arms and she spun him round happily, with him giggling her name as she did so. It warmed my heart to see it and I suddenly imagined hugging my own child like that. I looked at Killian and could tell he thought the same thing I could see that he had relaxed a bit now. Knowing that there was a child that she cared deeply for made her more of a friend than a potential threat. 

"He's been bugging me about you coming home for the entire day. Driven me insane he has." I looked up to see a man probably the same age as Killian with blondish brownish  hair and some light scruff on his jaw. His clothes looked like that of an outlaw, not that I have anything against that, I'm engaged to a pirate. 

After he embraced Regina he turned to us "Robin hood nice to meet you!" He introduced himself stretching his hand out in front of us to shake. 

Killian got there first shaking his hand and introducing himself, "Killian Jones." I followed in suit "Emma Swan."

"This is my son Roland." He motions towards the little boy who Regina had now put on the ground again and was talking to, "It's a pleasure to have you both here, we and everyone in this town owe a lot to you."