Chapter 43

Musical inspiration: The End – The Doors

It took a while for Zelda to collect herself again. It was only then she remembered the plan Lilith had proposed and freed herself harshly from the demoness' embrace, leaving her cold. Zelda crossed her arms, eyeing Lilith up and down.

"Why do we even bother?", she snorted, "You're leaving."

Just when Lilith had thought they had finally made some progress, Zelda took almost double the steps back. And she could not tell if she had much more energy to fight after the day she had had.

"Yes, I'm going to hell. "

The demoness untangled Zelda's arms and took her hands in hers, looking her sternly in the eyes. Zelda must be a mess, from what she could see in them. So many different emotions flickering, so much hurt. If she could, she would take it all away.

Lilith leaned in, close to Zelda's ear, who shivered at the sensation of the demoness' breath caressing her skin.

"Be my Queen, Zelda Spellman."

She returned to her former position, awaiting an answer. Zelda's breathing was shaky, reflecting everything going on inside her.

"You know full well I can't do that."

Lilith closed her eyes, mourning her perfect little fantasy of her and Zelda together on the throne in Pandemonium. Everything she had wanted in one place. The crown. Her witch. The throne. Their kingdom. It was too good to be true.

"Then I'll commute between Hell and Earth. Do both", she suggested, but was met with a shaking head, "Zelda, I can't give you up. I simply can't. But I also can't renounce the crown I've desired for millennia."

Zelda let go of her hands, falling between their bodies.

"Well, I'm afraid you can't have both", was her dry response.

Lilith brought her hands to her face, pressing her palms on it firmly, turning around. She tilted her head backwards, her hands sliding down her face, over her jaw, to her neck.

"Oh, Zelda Spellman!", she laughed sarcastically and turned around, fire in her blue orbs, "I am Madam fucking Satan, Mother of Demons, Lilith. The very definition of evil. And yet you, a mediocre witch from this forsaken earthly town, have me here, crawling at your feet."

"Lilith, you're losing it. Come on, you don't want to do this", Mary warned her, foreseeing the damage she was about to do – To herself.

I sure do, don't try me, little damsel.

"In a matter of minutes, I will be your Queen, Zelda. You should kneel before me. Beg me to take you with me and yet you dare to refute me?"

Now it was Zelda who moved closer, more determined than ever, fearless. She had nothing left to lose, but her knees went weak anyway.

"Don't get ahead of yourself", she lifted her chin up, only centimetres away from Lilith's face.

"A little bold, aren't we? Well, if you're feeling so courageous, why don't you come with us to the gates?"

Lilith made sure to act intimidating, to imply once she was crowned, she could do all sorts of things to her if she were present... But if she was being honest to herself, she just wanted Zelda there, wanted her to be the last person she looked at before leaving.

"Very well then."

~

Zelda was walking far away from her as they headed for the gates, fighting their way through the darkness of the mines. Lilith took the time to tie other lose ends – One other lose end.