Chapter 63

Musical inspiration: come out and play – Billie Eilish

Zelda had fallen asleep in Lilith's lap; her body heavy on her thighs, rising and falling with her regular breathing, muffled melodic hums ringing out. And she just would not let go of her hand, held it clutched to her chest all the while.

Lilith had summoned her Enochian poetry book here, rereading her favourites and silently practicing speaking the language again. It had been so long, but she still knew how to pronounce the words as if they were the substance she was made of, her DNA.

The Enochian language was more than just a language, she realised, it was the threads the universe was made of. And it truly was a privilege to be able to speak it. If it really was the key to creation, perhaps the capability was not exclusively reserved for her father. Then again, no heavenly being had ever succeeded in the art of creation apart from him. And God knows they had tried.

If she could not birth a universe, she could at least try to birth art. Minion had recommended her to find a hobby, so why not try writing some poetry of her own? After all, she had some time to kill until Zelda would wake up.

Paper and pencil appeared in her hands, and she used the book as a pad for writing. But what should she write about? Her eyes searched the room, found the glass window above them, and landed on the sleeping Zelda in her arm. No, that'd be cheesy. On the other hand... No one will read this anyway...

She thought for a while, chewing on the pencil, before she started drafting her first line:

Ol Oxiayal, ol hoath, ol salman

My throne, my lover, my home

Simple, but it would do for now. She just needed to write what was on her mind, what she could perceive in that moment. Everything was already there, waiting to be picked up and turned into a line.

Tilb holdo, tilb olpirt, tilb gono

Her groan, her light, her faith

Ge boaluahe

Our love

It would definitely not be her opus magnum, but it was a start. A start without a title – why not? Their relationship had also started without a title, so it might just be perfectly fitting.

Zelda had started moving sleepily and was now hesitantly opening her eyes as she let out a yawn. When she noticed, she quickly covered her mouth with her hand.

"How long was I out?"

"About an hour", Lilith answered without looking up from her book.

Zelda sat up in the bed and leaned against Lilith's shoulder, putting her hands there first, and tried to get a glimpse of what the demoness was occupied with.

"What's this?"

"Enochian poetry." Lilith was not bothered by Zelda, because she could not understand what she had written anyway.

"You speak Enochian? I thought only angels did..."

The demoness smirked and snorted. "Common misconception. All the primary creations do."

"Mh, I'm intrigued... You know I'm passionate about languages."

Lilith turned her head to peck Zelda's lips quickly and smiled. "I know."

"So, are you going to teach me or what?"

Lilith slammed the book shut and put it on the nightstand to turn her body to face Zelda, supporting her weight with her hand on the mattress.