Chapter 90

Musical inspiration: Smells Like Teen Spirit – Tori Amos

Looking at her reflection in the bathroom mirror, Lilith brushed a few strands of hair out of her face, arranging them neatly. Brushing her hair had been quite the challenge with little Adam in her arms; she could not bear leaving him out of her sight in the bassinet.

Dark, thick curls framing her pale face; a sharp contrast that would have made her look sick if it had not been for her blushed cheeks that had taken on some colour from her scurrying around all noon. Zelda would surely not have approved, would have insisted on her resting, but she needed this to be perfect.

She made eye-contact with the ocean-blue of her reflection, met beaming orbs that were glazed with anticipation, excitement and... something different. Something that made her feel estranged and unfamiliar with the person she was looking at, but she quickly shook her head to rid herself of the sentiment.

Hearing people entering the bedroom, she stepped out, her long red dress flowing, baby Adam in her arms, held protectively to her chest. Hilda had followed her request and had gathered Sabrina, Marie, and Zelda here in the bedroom. From the looks she was receiving, none of them knew what to do with the situation, but who were they to question a new mother?

Lilith did not want Ambrose here – he was too much of a risk with his unclear attitude towards her –, but Marie should witness everything, so she would finally get the message. Sabrina and Hilda she adored, so they were the only ones righteously here. Lilith walked the line of them up and down, confusing them even more.

"Lilith? What is it? We don't have all day, what could be so important to summon us all here instead of letting us figure out a way to fight the Eldritch terrors?", Zelda pressured her, hand in her hip, nerves all over the place once again.

The demoness did not respond but instead did something she was not confident about, but she needed her hands free for what was to come. So, she handed Hilda baby Adam hesitantly, feeling more and more incomplete with every ounce of his weight leaving her arms. It was like they were being violently separated again like they were at his premature birth. Him being unrightfully ripped from his mother's sphere of safety into Hilda's arms.

She pressed her lips together in apprehension and nodded at Hilda, who got the hint she was assigned the honorable task of guarding Lilith's most precious treasure. Everyone present felt the undefinable indication to stay silent and not ask questions about anything going on, but none of them had a clue what Lilith was trying to do.

After a last glance at Hilda and her baby, Lilith strode over to Zelda and took both her hands in hers, letting them hang loosely between them and made eye-contact with a confused and slightly annoyed redhead.

"Is this one of your silly games, Lilith? We really don't have the time..."

"Zelda", Lilith said calmly but stern, holding her gaze demandingly, "Let me speak."

The ginger witch was unsettled by Lilith's behaviour, her eyes were locked with hers and yet distinctly unfocused. More bad news? More trouble? Something with the baby?

"Before I met you, I knew only war, only pain, only suffering. An then you, Zelda Spellman, you made me feel at peace for the first time in my life."

Sabrina and Marie exchanged questioning looks, both feeling they were witnessing something that was not meant for them. But a warning glance from the corner of Lilith's eyes urged them to stay where they were.

Zelda's brows furrowed even more, and her lips parted slightly to get some air that would help her contain herself to not lash out on her apparently disheveled girlfriend.