Chapter 101

Musical inspiration: The Blackest Day – Lana Del Rey

Clinging to the baby doll in her arms, rocking it, humming to it as if it were alive was the only thing she could do now. Everything was disconnected, bizarrely grimaced, killing what was left of her. But then the cries started.

"Adam?"

She stumbled through the room, her own throat producing strangled screams and whimpers as she threw the doll away, searching for her baby boy. No words were needed for her to understand the accusations in his cries, the disappointment and disbelief. He did not recognise her as his mother anymore.

"Adam! Adam! Where are you? Adam?"

If she could just find him, hold him close and tell him it had all just been a terrible mistake... Her baby boy, her little spark.

She was bursting with pain and tears, crying his name, crying out for him but there was nothing but the never-ending torture of hearing his reproaches. "Where are you? Adam?"

"Adam, please, forgive me", she pleaded, sinking to her knees, "Forgive me! Forgive me. Forgive me. Forgive me", she repeated, yet knowing there would never be absolution for her.

She felt like she was running and running without getting anywhere, running from something, from herself. Out of the devouring darkness that kept her still, throwing reminders of what she had done at her to haunt her.

Lilith? Who was Lilith? She did not know her anymore. All she was now was the mother that had killed and cooked her own child and could not even condemn herself to death for her sin. No, it was not right, she did not belong her anymore. And she needed someone who would not fight this truth and help her even this out. Caliban.

~

It had been hard to get the summoning ritual done with Adam's cries never leaving her ears and mind, she could not focus anymore, it even made her feel physically sick. But it would not matter for much longer.

"Why have you summoned me here, Lilith?", Caliban growled annoyed.

Lilith clung to the doll she had used to summon Caliban, having trouble staying present again, having to force herself out of catatonia.

"Firstly, let me ask you: Do you hear that?", she turned around, wishing she would find his little face somewhere, "The sound of a baby crying?"

"I hear nothing of the sort", he came closer, "I'm sorry Lucifer condemned you to a living death. I would have loved to have killed you myself."

Caliban teased her, having engaged in power play so often with Lilith it was almost tradition held dear by him, even if he did not think much of the demoness. She had always fought back with determination, always been brave, spitting him in the eye. The more shocked he was by the once, single, defeated sentence slipping from her lips.

"I wish he had killed me", he frowned, gutted by the resolution in her words, "And I want to end it, Caliban... Presently and permanently. But I need your help... to do it."

"Gladly." The pity he had felt for a moment vanished as quickly as it had appeared as emotions did not use to run deep within creatures of hell. Except for Lilith, unfortunately, or rather, what she had been turned into.

"But... neither of us can break Lucifer's malediction."

He turned to leave, but Lilith stopped him.

"That's true. The only weapon that can kill someone cursed with immortality is the Spear of Longinus, the spear that pierced the Nazarene's side when he was crucified. The Centurion of Golgotha is in Hell, guarding that spear. Go to him. Retrieve it for me, please."