Father Knows Best

"Dear, this is not your choice. You're going to get married whether you like it or not."

Y/n POV -

"Father please, you don't have to do this."
He raised an eyebrow at me, "really? Have you seen the state of the kingdom. If I don't do this our reputation will be ruined."
I glared at him, surely I'm more important than the reputation of the country. "Dad, you can't actually be serious?"
He gave me a look, one he had given me so many times before. I knew exactly what it meant, he wasn't joking, I was really going to have to marry a stranger. "Really?"
He nodded. This could not actually be happening.

"I'm so done with this!"
I yelled, causing him to look at me with raised eyebrows, "You don't want to get married? Why, y/n!"
He made his way towards me, "look at you, as fragile as a flower."
He grabbed my hand, forcing me to face him and smiling, "still a little sapling, just a sprout."
He brought me over to the window, "you know why you stayed up in that tower."
He gestured over to the land that lay below us, the land I'm destined to rule, "I know but..."
I responded, wanting to speak and make a point.

"That's right, to keep you safe and sound, dear."
He knew that that's not what I was going to say, "guess I always knew this day was coming."
I just wanted to tell him that I have to be able to make my own way in life, "knew that soon you'd want to leave the nest."
If only he'd listen, I don't want to leave, I just want to be able to live my own way, "Soon, but not yet."
"But..."
he wasn't going to let me speak at all, if this is how he acts with his daughter, how does he act with the people. "Shh!"

"Trust me, pet. Father knows best."
He knows how hard it is for us to talk about parents, considering the fact that my mother died when I was born, "Father knows best."
I repeated to myself, "listen to your father. It's a scary world out there."
It may be a scary world, but he's far, far worse "father knows best."
He just didn't understand, "one way or another, something will go wrong, I swear."
I just wanted to disagree with him, I wanted to shout at him and run, be free. "Ruffians, thugs,
poison ivy, quicksand, cannibals and snakes,
the plague."
I could feel my cheeks growing red as tears welled in my eyes, "no!"
I shouted, hoping to God that no one would notice "yes!"

"Also large bugs, men with pointy teeth, and
stop, no more, you'll just upset me. Father's right here, father will protect you."
I was slowly coming to my senses, realising that if anyone was going to be real with me it would be family. "Darling, here's what I suggest, skip the drama, stay with papa. Papa knows best."
He slowly walked to the side of the window, lowering the curtain and putting us into darkness. "Father knows best, take it from your papa on your own, you won't survive. Sloppy, underdressed, immature, clumsy. Please, they'll eat you up alive. Gullible, naÎve, positively grubby, ditzy and a bit, well, hmm vague. Plus, I believe gettin' kinda chubby."
He appeared behind me and pulled me into a hug, "I'm just saying 'cause I wuv you. Father understands, father's here to help you. All I have is one request, y/n?"
"Yes?"

"Don't ever try to disagree again."
"Yes."