Chapter 26- a confession

⚠️TW: more murder⚠️

Chess's POV:

Today was the first day back to school after the incident. We had to take the balloons off but all the streamers the school let stay. So a few balloons are in the schools office, but that's their fault for making us take them off. "Okay, do you want me to just carry you in or should we put you in the chair?" Kate asked after she pulled in my driveway. "The chair one, my mom got ramps installed to the house." I said and Kate got out. It's still a little weird and I feel helpless but everyone is helpful. My locker was on the top so I couldn't reach it. Cairo saw me struggling to open it so she came over and got everything out of my locker. She even helped me move all my stuff to the one on the bottom I was reassigned to. I bet she just wanted to look good, because normally she would have just watched me struggle. Kate opened up the door. "Okay, come here." She said and moved to pick me up. "Umm actually, can I try to move myself?" I said as I leaned away from her. "Fine, but if I see you slipping I'm going to grab you." She said and moved just enough out of my way and moved the wheelchair as close to the car as she could. I have no idea on how I'm supposed to do this. Kate must have seen me questioning how I should go about this. "Maybe pick up your legs one by one and set them on the chair?" Kate's statement sounded more like a question. I picked my legs up and put them down on the chair. "Now use your hands to lift yourself up to slide down." Kate said and I tried but it really hurt the stabs. "I can't." I said. "That's okay, maybe we can try with shorter chairs." Kate said and leaned over the chair. She lifted me up and put me in the chair. I wheeled backwards and Kate shut the door. Oh god my neighbor is coming out of the house.

"Chess?" "Hey." I said and tried to wheel myself as fas as possible to the door. "What happened to you?" Oh god now it's a conversation. Kate came over to me with both our backpacks. "Who's that?" She asked. "My extremely talkative neighbor." I mumbled and wheeled myself out of my driveway and onto the sidewalk where sir talkative was standing. "I was stabbed 6 times." I said as cheerfully as I could. That's my new favorite thing to say and watch people's reactions. They were always the same. The person stops smiling, turns ghost white, and looked me over to try and find where I was stabbed. To my surprise, he didn't do that. "I saw that on the news, I didn't realize you were the one that had the spinal cord mess up." You saw that on the what? I opened my mouth to say something- "You saw what on the what?" Kate said it before I could. "The news? Your friends were on the tv the night of the prom. It's probably on YouTube-" "Okay, bye!" Kate said and grabbed the back of the wheelchair and pulled me inside. She threw both of our backpacks by the door.

"Hey girls p-" "-not right now mom." Kate said. Oh, that's new. "Sorry." Kate shook her head. "I meant Mrs B." "It's fine, what's wrong?" Mom asked. I shrugged. Kate started doing something on her phone. She leaned over me and put her phone close to my lap and pressed play on a YouTube video. "A group of High School cheerleaders and a few High School football players gathered for an after prom sleepover. When the night took a bloody turn. Take a look." Oh my god. I looked up at Kate. She was still staring at the phone. "An 18 year old girl and a 17 year old boy were both stabbed multiple times. Their names have not been released to the public. The boy was pronounced dead on the scene of the crime but the girl is at the hospital getting treated for multiple deep stab wounds reaching her spinal cord. She is not expected to survive. The murderer has not been found. Our hearts go out to the friends and family of the victims." "I WASNT EXPECTED TO SURVIVE?!" I yelled. A notification popped up on Kate's phone. She pulled the phone out of my view. "The police conformed it wasn't Eva or Reese!" "So Riley stabbed me?" I asked. "That wasn't confirmed yet. They brought the neighbor into it. The one that used to watch Riley when she was little." Kate said. "Oh, Riley wants to meet up." "I'm not going." I said and wheeled my way into the kitchen. "Get your crippled ass over here." Kate came into the kitchen. "I'll pretend like I didn't hear that." Mom said and handed me a piece of pizza. "Umm what about me?" Mom pushed a plate over to Kate. "Thank you."