𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗛𝗥𝗜𝗧𝗬 𝗘𝗜𝗚𝗛𝗧

┏━━━━━━━━━━┓chapter thirty eight:you always hurt the ones you love┗━━━━━━━━━━┛

┏━━━━━━━━━━┓
chapter thirty eight:
you always hurt the ones you love
┗━━━━━━━━━━┛

"WELL ISN'T THIS PLACE RATHER NICE?" Leviana asked, walking into the living room. "Nik must have compelled a wine lover to keep it up, because I found a 2005 Bordeaux. Fancy a sip?"

"Appreciate the sentiment, Leviana. But I do recognize when I'm being handled with kid gloves." Elijah stated.

"How are you feeling?" Rebekah asked.

"Patronized." He said simply. "I am here to protect you. And yet you both found it necessary to render me unconscious before bringing me here."

"We can't have you massacring another dozen people." Leviana sighed.

"You weren't yourself and I needed to get us out of that diner." Rebekah argued. "What happened back there?"

"I don't know."

"You don't know?" Leviana scoffed. "I'll tell you what I know. As far as I could tell, those people weren't a threat, and you killed them, horrifically, I might add."

"Niklaus sent me to protect Hope. My job is to keep her safe." Elijah declared.

The three siblings were sitting on the porch, waiting for Klaus and Hayley to arrive. Leviana was playing 'peekaboo' with Hope, who was most likely getting annoyed while Elijah watched them closely.

"It's all right, Elijah. She won't break." Rebekah spoke from the yard, putting logs into a pile. "Everything you did was in the name to protect her. I'm not worried."

"Neither am I." Leviana chirped, picking up Hope and placing the baby on her hip. "Please tell me that's not what I think it is."

"It's a bonfire season, and I am reviving a family tradition." Rebekah said, walking over to Elijah and Leviana. "Especially since we're all going to be together."

"Only because we're fleeing from one of our deranged parents." Elijah sighed.

"Is anyone else getting deja-vu?" Leviana joked.

"Another Mikaelson family tradition." Elijah chuckled. "It's a peculiar thing. Never to be tired, yet forever exhausted by the sameness of things. Why is our family always at war?"

"I don't know. But being with her made me see things differently." Rebekah sighed, rubbing one of Hope's hands. "We're not so bad. Not the monsters that our parents think we are."