𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗙𝗢𝗥𝗧𝗬 𝗡𝗜𝗡𝗘

┏━━━━━━━━━━┓chapter forty nine:castle of sorrow┗━━━━━━━━━━┛

┏━━━━━━━━━━┓
chapter forty nine:
castle of sorrow
┗━━━━━━━━━━┛

SOUTHERN FRANCE, 1002 A.D.

"KOL, ARE YOU QUITE DONE?" Elijah asked, using the branches to hide the cart of the dead people they just killed.

Kol dropped a woman's body on the ground. "Bother, Elijah, is all this truly necessary?"

"Brother, the road is a major thoroughfare. If the bodies are found, word of our presence will spread to Mikael." Elijah retorted.

"Well, what if—"

"No." They all interrupted, tired of hearing Leviana's excuses for Mikael's actions.

"We have run through autumn and winter, through sleet and snow." Rebekah listed. "Are we cursed to forever live in fear of our father?"

"I should say yes, sadly." Finn stated.

"Finn, please." Leviana sighed, choosing to not mention anymore of her ideas because she knew they wouldn't listen. She turned to Klaus, who was petting one of the horses that the people had used for their cart. "Do we have any idea where we are running to next?"

"Why not just do what we've all thought of doing? Split up." Kol suggested.

"We swore a vow." Klaus spoke up.

"Your vows haunt me more than Father himself." Kol said angrily. "At least he can't chance us all. I say we take our chances."

"Perhaps Kol is right." Finn declared.

"Thank you, Finn." Kol smiled. "Yeah, I've always said eldest is the most intelligent."

"Stop talking." Finn scolded. "I take no joy in our assent but I do wish to sleep in a bed. To bathe in a bath, to feed of proper food. If we divide—"

"No, Finn." Leviana interrupted. "Nik is right. We made a vow. We promised that we would put family above all. Always and forever."

"MY DEAR REBEKAH, I HOPE THIS FINDS YOU WELL." Freya wrote in her letter to Rebekah. "I write to you to offer an update and to ask your advice. Our brothers remain at odds. Klaus will never apologize...not for the blood he's shed, nor the suffering Hayley continues to endure. And Elijah cannot forgive him. Despite my efforts, we are a house divided."

"Our sister is still nowhere to be found. Hayley claims she has not the slightest clue on her whereabouts. Though every time someone asks, she grows a bit saddened. Something might've happened before Leviana's disappearance. The ring Esther crafted for her so long ago not only helps her siphoning, but it also keeps her hidden from any locator spell. There is nothing more I can do to find her as of this moment."