Fifty-One

Mare

I hardly had any time to change out of my huge formal dress into something more "modest" for a Queen. Maven didn't bother to change, claiming his suit wouldn't do anything during a professional meeting.

I didn't think that either, I just didn't want to wear a huge bulky dress that weighs a ton to this meeting.

This meeting that I have the majority say in. I was threatened with a knife, a dagger if you will. I still have one arm draped over my stomach as a protection charm. Little does everyone else know, I wasn't the only one that was threatened.

The discussion room had gray walls, a huge black table with Maven and I at the head. Each House had a few seats for a few head members. Some faces I recognize but the names to match said faces fail me. The main people that stick out to me, Samson Merandus, Eve and Ptolemus Samos, Elane Haven, Cal, and Shade, are the only people I know personally.

I'm surprised they let Shade in here, but he is part of a royal House now, House Barrow. We chose our House colors, purple and gold. Shade wanted to go with red and black, but that was already taken by House Calore.

Maven sat at my left, he leans back in his chair as if he owns the place, which he does. He has done this so many times that it appears as if it has been rehearsed. While I, on the other hand, look very dramatic. I have my back posture as straight as it could go, my hands folded, my ankles crossed.

"You don't have to look so superficial, you know," Maven comments, sitting up as he speaks.

I sigh, decompressing myself slightly, barely. "I know, I have never done this before, it's nerve-wracking."

He touches one of my elbows, rubbing it slowly to calm my nerves. His warmth is so calling, so soothing, addicting.

"I don't want to look sloppy," I mutter, looking at his hand.

"But you don't want to look like you are faking it either, do you?" I look over at him, his brow is raised. I sigh again, leaning back in my chair. He examines me, admiring what I am wearing and how my body is shaped.

"You're not wearing a corset," He points out.

"I took it off when I changed," I whisper, leaning into his earshot so I can be audible. "I figured it would be better for you-know-who."

"Ah," He raises his brow again, leaning away from me. He observes the room, taking in the information. Everyone is seated, a few small conversations are fluttering around the room. I can't hear what is being said, all I can hear is the muttering and the movement of lips.

Maven stands up and all the small conversations cease. I don't know whether I should stand up as well, but I stay planted in my seat.

"Thank you all for coming to this unexpected meeting," Maven says firmly, with a true leader in his voice. "If you haven't been caught up to speed, her majesty, Queen Mare was threatened this evening by a Red during the Honeymoon Strut."

A few murmurs from those who were clueless as to why we were here arise, but they fade out as quickly as they came. I look over to Shade, who is looking at me with melancholy in his eyes. Poor Shade, first he almost lost his lover, then his daughter, then me. He needs a break from stress.

Maven sits back down and looks at me. I pull myself away from Shade to look at Maven, his eyes are filled with worry. I give him a weak smile before looking back out at the crowd.

A Silver that I don't know by name raises her hand. Maven gives her a slight nod. "Forgive me, Your Highness, I was not aware of what had happened to The Queen, could you give me and everyone else who was not aware a synopsis of what happened?" She asks a ring of fear in her voice. She looks hardly older than me, her skin young, cheeks plump.