Sixteen

Maven

I awoke with Mare hugging me once again.  Her electrifying touch makes me cool off for once.  She breathes into my chest; she didn't have any nightmares last night.  That's a plus.  The sunlight beams through the diamond glass window.  Dawn.  Mare's favorite time of day.  I raise my head as softly as I can so I don't move her head and wake her, she needs rest.  It's hard for me to get up though, half of Mare's body is on top of mine, legs crossed and twisted.  

The sunrise is lighting up the room in golds and yellows, I squint.  The light wakes Mare up, she makes a light moan as her eyes open lightly.  She does a typical morning yawn and sniffles afterword.  

"Good morning," I say to start off our morning.  She looks up to me, her brown eyes meet mine. 

"Good morning," She says, almost yawning again.  

"I hope you like the dawn this morning," I say, she looks toward the window with her head and uses one hand to cover the sunlight from her eyes.  She studied it for a moment and looked back at me, barely flushing. 

"You remembered," She says with a small smile.  

"How could I forget?" I smile back at her; she lays a kiss on my cheek; I plant one on her forehead. 

"So, what do you have planned today?" She asked me, sitting up slightly.  

"Well, all I can think of is a walk in the gardens with Mare," I look at her with a side smirk, she looks back at me.  "I think I can arrange that," She says back, grinning.  "How about after breakfast?"  "I can make that work,"

She smiles again, beaming like the morning sun. 

Mare

Maven sits next to me at breakfast instead of across from me.  He was eating scrambled eggs and I had french toast.  I was starving so I ate pretty fast, Maven tried to keep up, it was amusing watching him stare at me, shoving food into my mouth, and him giving me a puzzled look, and then trying to copy my acts, only getting egg on his chin. 

I took a second to catch my breath and looked at Maven, slumped over, still attempting to chow down his meal.  I give him a giggle.  He looks at me with his eyes, I purse my lips from laughing even more.  He notices and sits up tall, to tall.  Another laugh escapes my lips again.  Maven gives me a sad puppy look. 

"What's so funny?" He asks me.  I have to cover my mouth to stop from laughing. 

"I'm sorry for eating too fast for you to keep up," 

"That, right, are you okay?" He has to look down at me from our height difference, about 7 inches to be more precise. 

"I'm fine, just hungry, long nights and all that," 

He raises one eyebrow, I try to mimic him, but failing miserably, probably making a stupid look on my face, Maven can't help but snort at my failed trial of copying him.  

"You should make that face more often, it's cute and funny,"

"Funny looking," I look back at my plate that has a pool of syrup and a half-eaten sausage, while Maven's has about half of his eggs and bacon. 

I look back up at Maven, studying his face more.  He has a small piece of egg on his chin. 

"Oh, here, let me help you with that," I lick my finger and the wetness on my finger clings onto the egg, I put my finger in my mouth to eat the small fleck of egg.  

"Oh, so you eating off my face is allowed now?" He teases.  I raise both of my eyebrows.  

"So, does that mean I can take your sausage then?" He uses his fork and steals my sausage.  

"Hey! I was gonna eat that!" 

He smirks while he's chewing.  I mimic his puppy face from before. 

"Don't give me that look, Mare, don't,"

I try not to break character from a laugh.  

"Fine, here," He raises his fork with a small chunk of egg on it, I open my mouth and bite down on his fork once it's in my mouth. 

"Thank you," I say once I swallow.  He flushes a gray tone, Silver, it contrasts my natural red blush that was hidden when maids painted my face not so long ago. 

***

Breakfast went and left in more laughs, the time was now about 10:00, Maven and I are walking in the Gardens, half of the flowers aren't bloomed yet from the February cold.  Maven's coat and cape keeps him warm; his fire should keep him warm.  I am chilly though; my skin is pink from the dry winter air.  Maven notices and wraps one arm around me.

His natural warmth keeps me wanting more.  

I notice that Maven's teeth are clenched from stress.  I know being King isn't an easy task, but it comes easy now that nothing to horrid is going on.  No attacks from the Scarlet Guard.  No mass killings, nothing to drastic.  

"Maven?"

"Yes? What is it?" 

"Are you okay, you seem stressed," 

He takes a deep breath and stops walking.  I stop along with him; his warm arm is still around my waist. 

 "I just want to say sorry to you, for being such an idiot towards you and your cause, now, I realize it's right to have peace back in Norta,"

"No, Maven, I should be sorry for leaving you once, and wanting to kill you for a short period of time,"

"Mare,"

"Maven,"

We started overlapping dialogue and saying completely random things, I didn't even know what I was saying, let alone what Maven was trying to get through to me, but we just continued rambling. 

"I just want to tell you that I'm sorry," We both said the same thing, we stopped after that. I flushed with embarrassment.  Maven saw and pulled me into a hug.  The hug was long and peaceful, I could hear Maven's heartbeat, how quick it was.

I pulled away and looked at him, arms still around one another.  His heat was unbearable, calling me into his grasp.  I pull him into me, our lips touch once again, his hand travels to the back of my neck, mine travels to his cheek.  I can feel his smile against my lips. 

When we break free from our embrace, the both of us smile a quick smile that only lasts a matter of seconds.  Maven looks into my eyes again; we do that a lot.  His eyes still will never fail to take my breath away.

Hi, here's a chapter for every single Mareven fans out on Wattpad, sorry if it's cringy but whatever.  Almost 200 views, what?  Excuse me, but why?  Thank you for that!  All views are happy dances!

Thanks again!

Hannah