Fourteen

Maven

I have a confession, I can't sleep.  

I thought the thought of Mare choosing me would make me sleep with happy dreams, but no.  By my guess, it's about 2 in the morning.  Mare's asleep next to me, lightly snoring next to me, nuzzled into my chest, hugging me, not even bothering to let go.  I like the comfort of her touch next to me.  But yet, I can't even close my eyes, let alone sleep.  

It's hard to move with Mare holding onto me so tight it's hard to breathe.  Her clench isn't the thing bothering me though, she chose me so quickly, I was trying to be the me I used to be before Mother got into my head, the short period of time that was while I was King while she lived.  I am still King.  

Mare was hardly breathing, her sleep was so deep.  But I saw her chest lightly rising and falling at a steady pace.  I could see her face, her teeth were clenched, eyes squeezed shut.  Her breathing quickened, her tears started to float down her cheeks and onto my shirt.  She was having a nightmare.

"Mare,"  I said it so quietly, I guilted the thought of waking her up, but she was gasping for breath, crying as her head was buried into my chest. 

"Mare,"  I shook her, she woke up in a gasp and a small scream, shooting herself up, hands now plastered onto my chest.  In the moonlit room, her eyes were glossy, it took her a moment to come back. 

"Maven?" She said it so softly, staring into my eyes, probably groggy from loss of sleep.  Once she saw it was me, she crawled right back around me and cried, letting it all out.

"It's okay, Mare, I'm right here,"  I stroaked the back of her head, trying to calm her down.   

"Maven I- I thought you were gone," She raised her head, meeting my eyes.  

"I'm here, I'm okay, it was just a bad dream, it's not real," 

This used to happen to me, I had terrible nightmares, night terrors.  I'd be asleep, but I'd scream, not waking up.  Mother would sooth me, back then I liked when she got in my head, to calm me.  Mare weeped next to me, I wrapped my hands around her, it calmed her, I know she loves my warmth. 

She took one last breath, and calmed down.  Nuzzling back into me, her legs tangled in mine, arms around my waist.  I kissed the top of her head as she slowly drown back to sleep.  I followed after her, finally getting sleep. 

Shade

Mare chose Maven, just like I wanted.  I know that I may never see her in person again.  But now we and her, have a better chance at living.    

I couldn't sleep, not after today.  Evangeline is pregnant with Cal's child, Farley is pregnant with mine.  Mare is with Maven now.  I don't know how she is, but she is.  She might become Queen of Norta.  If she is Queen, she will set this world back to what it was, peace, unity, newbloods like me and Mare will be safe.  

The whole day replayed in my mind, normal days aren't even on the record anymore.  But at least one good thing came out of the day.  I am going to be a father.  

 I wish I could see Farley, I know she's safe now, just paying her dues, she'll be released in about a week.  Then I can see her. 

The thought of me having a family of my own makes me happy.  So happy it calms me.  

Calm, a word I haven't thought of in a long time.  

Calm.

Hey my fellow wattys and Maven lovers!  Sorry for this one being short, thank you for 150 views jeez that's a lot for me.  To much, I don't deserve this.  But thank you so much!

Anyway, I'll update more!  Stay safe!

Hannah