Sixty-One

Maven

I hear Mare's glass shatter.  I stop my sentence short and turn my head over to her.  I give her a suspicious glance, but her hand that was once holding her glass now cups her bump near the bottom.  

"Mare?" I whisper.  She takes her hand holding mine, and squeezes it tight.  Very tight. 

"What is-," I look at her dress, the wet spot growing.  My eyes widen.

"Maven help me," She quietly begs. 

"Broadcast over!" I yell to everyone.  The crowd below starts a fuss, but I grab Mare.  She stands up, slowly, groaning.  Some Silvers flood the exit, asking us questions.  

"Is Queen Mare in labor?"

"She isn't due for another 7 weeks,"

"Will the twin princesses be alright?"

"Everyone move!" I boom.  I hear Mare whimpering, holding her bump, barely standing alone.  Sweat lined her brow.  

"But Your Majesty-,"

"Don't argue! Mare is in labor, so everyone move!" I shove everyone out of the way, still using all my weight to support Mare.  One runs to me though, Eve.  

"I saw what happened,"

"Everyone did," Mare grunts.  Even at this moment, she still has her spark.  

Eve chuckles.  "Well, I've done this once so I am practically an expert at it."

Mare and I chuckle, then Mare's chuckle turns into a breathy gasp and yell.  "Can I go somewhere and lay down?"

"Yes, yes," I take Mare, and Eve takes her other side.  We quickly stumble to our bedroom, and once there I stay by her side while Eve gets a doctor.  I keep holding her hand, and she squeezes it when she has a flood of pain.  Hard. 

"I really shouldn't do this on the white sheets, I'll get them all gross," Her words are rushed.

"It's alright," I chuckle.

"This is really happening," Her words are heavy yet light at the same time. 

"Our girls are coming," I smile.  I can't really believe it's happening either.  Mare was fine, then it hit her.  So unexpected.  I know I'm not the best with the whole birth concept, but that's not... normal? "Did it just... happen?"

"Yeah," Mare grunts out as she leans forward, taking a sharp inhale.  I rub her back up and down.  Once she calms, she leans back against the frame again.  "It was so odd."

"Oh?"

"Yeah, it wasn't gradual like I expected, it was... all at once, I think it was-," She is cut off and holds my hand tight, and grunts.  Eve comes in, with a doctor behind.  

The whole night goes by fast.  Tight hands, gripping sheets, screams, pushes.  It's all a blur, like a scene on 2 times speed, but slow motion at the same time.  I'm snapped out of it when I hear baby cries.  

The doctor hands one baby girl to Mare, and one to me.  Mare's out of breath, breathing heavily, yet staring at the bundled baby in blankets.  They look so small, with dark hair and light eyes.  It's almost as if Eve and the doctor aren't there, just Mare, me, and my daughters.  

Mare looks up at me, eyes glossed with tears.  I smile at her.  The doctor says they'll give us a moment, and Eve leaves shortly behind her.  

"Darling," Is all she can say, breathy.  

"Mare," I sit down on the side of the bed, still soaking with bodily fluids and blood. 

"Our girls," Mare says, looking at the girl in her arms.  

"Our girls," I look at mine in my arms, looking around curiously.  

"Which one was born first? I was in such deep thought I didn't even notice," 

"Too busy pushing and screaming?"

"Maven," She scolds, and I chuckle. 

"The one I'm holding was born first, by 4 minutes," 

"So yours is Ruby?" 

I smile and look down at the curious little baby.  "Ruby."  Mare leans forward and looks at Ruby, then looks at her own. 

"Luna," She says softly.  "We need middle names for them."

"How about Ruby Maven and Luna Maven," I smirk.  She grabs a pillow and lightly smacks my side, yet still careful to not disturb the twins.  

"No, give up the Maven idea," 

"Okay okay, but hear me out, what about a name that rhymes with Maven," She rolls her eyes.  "What about Raven? Luna Raven?"

She sighs, looking at Luna in my arms.  "Fine, just to make you shut up on the idea."  

I smile, then look at Luna.  "Does that make you happy? Your middle name rhymes with daddy's name." 

"Seriously?" Mare says, holding back her smile.  "Here, to be even, Ruby's middle name has to rhyme with mine."

"To be even.  You could do bare, stare,"

"Very funny," She cuts me off.  "What about Blaire?"

I look at Ruby, smiling.  "Ruby Blaire." 

We make eye contact and smile.  I lean forward and kiss her softly.  The door opens, and I break away.  It's the doctor.  

"Your Majesties," She dips her head.  "I have a few matters I'd like to discuss." 

I nod, giving her permission to speak.  

"The Queen will need to be bedridden for the next few days so no damage is done.  The twins seem healthy, but we will monitor them.  Do you have names for them?"

"Yes, we do," Mare says proudly. 

"The eldest?"

Mare answers first.  "Ruby Blaire Calore."

The lady smiles.  "And the youngest?"

Mare looks at me and then nods.  "Luna Raven Calore."