Chapter 5

As they stepped out of the elevator, Cassie saw Stephen with his girlfriend by the front desk. He didn't look happy to see her walking next to Adam. He grabbed her arm as she walked by, making her spin around.

          "Where do you think you are going? And why are you walking next to him instead of behind him? Haven't you learned anything yet? Well, it's a good thing that you are here. I'm leaving tomorrow for my winter vacation. Your bastard child will be here in a couple of days. I don't want to have to look at either of you." The other woman was smirking at her until she noticed how the extremely good looking young man was holding Cassie's hand.

         "Where I'm going is none of your business, Stephen. And Megan is not a bastard child. Anyone with eyes can tell that she is yours. And I'll be glad to have you away from here for a couple of months." Cassie felt Adam squeeze her hand. She also noticed that Stephen's face had turned red at the way she actually talked back to him.

       "How dare you talk back to me like that, you little bitch." Before anyone could do anything, Stephen had slapped her. He raised his hand again to only have his swing stop in mid-air by Adam.

        "I wouldn't do that again if I were you," he growled, making the other man step back.

       "So, she has become your whore. You will be tired of her soon. I was tired of her after a couple of days." He turned his back on them, dismissing them. Tim had to stop Adam from hitting the man.

       "Let's go into town, man. We could all use some fresh air." Every other person gave Stephen a look of disgust as the walked outside. Cassie had a huge SUV that would fit everyone. Adam asked if she was ok and Cassie nodded. She wiped her mouth and noticed a little blood on her fingers. Adam saw the blood and turned her to look at him. There was a box of tissues in the car and he grabbed on to wipe the small amount of blood away from her lip. He then rubbed his thumb softly over her lips. He was proud of the way she stood up for herself finally. He was pissed as hell at the reaction it got. He wasn't going to let it happen again. He sat quietly looking at the scenery as she drove them into town. After she found a parking spot everyone climbed out of the vehicle.

        "Wow. This place is gorgeous." Jenika stated as she looked over at the ocean. Cassie led them down the boardwalk to where the shops were. Her favorite was the candy store. Adam pulled her into the clothing store. The prices were fairly good and there was a wide selection. She didn't want him buying too much because she did still have her own clothes that she would be able to get after Stephen left. Adam just brushed her protests aside. When she went to check out the candy store, he secretly bought her some nice lingerie that he thought would look good on her. He paid for everything and met her in the candy store. She was paying for some salt water taffy and chocolate. They all spent the rest of the afternoon touring the little town. They decided to eat dinner at one of the little cafes there. Cassie was really liking hanging out with this group. They were really down to earth and didn't act like celebrities. She liked that about them. She was going to be sad when they left after winter was over.

        After they got back, Cassie asked Adam if he would take her swimming down to the pool. Sami wanted to go, too. Adam and Chance said they would accompany the ladies to the pool. Cassie had to stop by her room to get her bathing suit. Adam wasn't really surprised at how small her room was. She said that she would use one of the changing rooms downstairs. As they walked through the dining area and to the hallway that led to the pool area, Stephen had come out of his office and watched them disappear. He wasn't too thrilled with how nice Adam as treating her but there wasn't anything he could do about it yet. He did offer her to the man. After about a half hour he decided to peek in on them without being seen.