Chapter 31

The ring that Adam wanted to get for Cassie had arrived. He was just waiting to give it to her on her birthday, which was tomorrow. He couldn't believe that it was February already. The time had flown so fast. He wanted to take her some place special and had made reservations for a cabin up near Lake Tahoe. She had never seen snow before and he thought that this would be a good time to go. He had rented a vehicle for the drive. They would be leaving about noon today so that he wouldn't have to spend the day driving on her birthday. 

              "Almost done packing, love?"

               "Yes, I am. I hope my clothes will be warm enough. I can't wait to see the snow."

                   He grabbed their suitcases and followed her out the door and to the elevator.

                "Let me help carry something, Adam."

                  "I got it Cassie. Let's say goodbye to everyone."

                  Their friends were waiting to see them off and gave them hugs goodbye. They all knew of Adam's surprise for her. Everyone watched as Adam and Cassie got into the car and took off for the four hour drive. Adam was liking all the scenery in Northern California. They just spent the time talking and singing along to the radio. As they got closer, Cassie got more excited. Adam had to stop to put chains on the tires. 

           "It is freezing out there," he said after getting back in the car. He turned the heat up a little higher. Cassie was staring at all the snow. She couldn't wait until they got to there cabin. About an hour later Adam was pulling up to a nice little resort. He stopped at the office to get the keys to the cabin. She wanted to quickly because it had gotten very cold out there.

          "Hello. I'm Sally, the owner of this resort. Welcome to Lake Tahoe," an older lady greeted them. Adam gave his name and got the key. "Oh,  by the way, we are expecting more snow to fall this weekend. Hopefully it won't be too bad. We don't get snowed in up here too often, but I still like to warn the guests." Adam thanked her and they went back to the car to drive up to the cabin.

           Adam parked in front of a cute little cabin. They grabbed their luggage and went inside. There was one bedroom, a nice bathroom with a big shower. A decent size kitchen with an eating area. The living room was a good size with a huge stone fireplace and plenty of wood stacked near it. There was a small deck in the back and porch in the front. Adam got a fire going as Cassie put their things in the bedroom. The cabins all had cable and WiFi. They brought some groceries with them. There was also a restaurant near the main lodge that delivered meals, also. Kind of like room service. This is what Adam planned on doing for dinner tomorrow night. 

           "This is so nice and cozy, Adam. Thank you for bringing me up here."

           "I'm glad to do it. Why don't you sit down and I will get you a glass f wine and we will eat this pizza that we picked up before we got here."

             "Sounds good." She sat down on the big sofa by the fireplace and turned on the television to see what was on. "There isn't much on. You pick something." She said to him as he handed her a glass of wine and a plate. He set the pizza box on the coffee table. He went to get his wine and plate and some napkins.

          "How about we pick out a movie." He came across Last of the Mohicans. "I have never seen this one. Let's watch it."

           "I saw this when it first came out. Excellent movie. I could never get tired of watching this one."

            Adam held up his glass to Cassie's. "Here's to a you having a great birthday weekend. Hope you really didn't mind being whisked away like that. I just wanted to spend time alone with you away from interruptions."