Chapter 12

The next few days had been uneventful. Cassie had changed the schedule for those two men that Stephen had hired to working only one day a week. She said something about letting people have more time off for the holiday season. Adam had been with her when she told them and he hid his smile as they grumbled about only working one day a week.

         "Well, if you are unhappy about it, feel free to look for work elsewhere. It's not like we can't manage without you," she smirked at them. They both glared at her with hatred in their eyes, causing Adam to put a hand on her shoulder and glared back at them. The look in Adam's eyes scared them. They heard about what he did to their boss. He couldn't be around her every second of the day. They would be waiting for that day. She watched as the men left her office. "Thank you for being here, Adam. I know they won't try anything with you near me. I'll try to make sure I'm not alone one the days they work if I can avoid it." She knew that Adam worried about her safety, but she refused to live in fear anymore. Her friend, Melissa, should be arriving any day with her husband, Alex. Megan and Cody have grown closer, too. She was happy for her daughter. Cody would treat her good. She had been thinking more and more about when she would hand over the business to Megan. Her daughter had a head for business and was taking hotel management in school. She just needed to cut all ties to Stephen once and for all. She sighed, making Adam look over at her. She looked tired because she had been working hard. It was now November and the holiday season had officially started. There was the planning for Thanksgiving. All the cooking that she had to do. She would prepare the other dishes the day before.

         "Anything wrong, love?"

        "No, just thinking. All the planning I need to do for Thanksgiving. The hotel isn't booked that full but there will still be a lot of people here. And I'm thinking about when I will let Megan run this place. It will be getting passed down to her someday." 

           "What will you do after you step down?"

         "I don't know. I haven't thought past Christmas, yet. I know that you will be going back on tour when the winter is over." She didn't really want to think about that. He saw the look of sadness cross her face before she shook it off. He would think of something. What had started out as accepting an offer from another man had turned into something else. She was now in his blood. When he wasn't with her, he was thinking about her. He liked hanging out with Megan. She was funny as hell, referring to Stephen as her sperm donor instead of dad was humorous to him. He would have to remember that one. 

         "Oh, I almost forgot. I talked to Rob this morning. He and Kelsey and their little girl would like to come out if there is room here. I kinda told him that I have an in with the owner." 

         She laughed at him before looking at the booking schedule. "I think we could work something out. There is still another suite on your floor that is unoccupied. They could stay there. I'll book it for them. It's ready for whenever they get here."

        "You are a real sweetheart, you know that? I'll give him a call later. I'm not sure where the nearest airport is around here."

        "That would probably be the Sonoma County Airport. It's not as big as Oakland or SFO, but it's a lot closer. It's in Santa Rosa, about an hour north of San Francisco. Well, I think that I am done for the day. Do you want to grab something to eat?"

        "Sure," he replied, helping her to stand up. "What would you like?"

       "Oh, I was thinking about ordering room service and just relaxing. My back is a little stiff from sitting at my desk for so long. Either a nice hot shower or go in the hot tub."