Chapter 7

Adam picked up a still crying Cassie and took her back to his suite to clean her up. She buried her head into his chest and held onto him as if her life depended on it. Adam was shaking with his rage. If he hadn't come downstairs when he did, the man would've raped her. Of course the plan still would've backfired on the man. He wouldn't blame Cassie for something that was done to her. She was going to have one hell of a shiner. Austin went to his room to get some ice for Adam. Oleana noticed his grim look and asked about it. What he told her made her gasp. She wished that she could've seen Adam pounding the man. He definitely deserved it. After Austin went back with the ice, Oleana went and told the others, making everyone rush into Adam's suite. Sami gasped in shock. Cassie looked like hell. Tim was angry as well. If Adam hadn't done it, he would've. Tim had a real problem with men who used force on women. Each woman was very grateful to have the kind, loving men they had. They watched as Adam spoke soothing words as he cleaned up her face. Cassie had finally stopped crying but was embarrassed to have the others see her like this. This is why she usually didn't try to fight back. The fear came rushing back to her. Once her face was cleaned off, Adam just pulled her onto his lap and rocked her gently. His anger was starting to ease. The man had left and would hopefully take his threat seriously. If Chance hadn't stopped him, he would've been arrested for murder, even though it would've been justified. After letting them know that if there was anything that either of them needed to let them know, the others left. Tim looked back one more time before shutting the door. Tim had been watching Adam the whole time. His friend was falling hard. He couldn't blame him. Cassie was a sweetheart when allowed to be herself. If anyone could help her through this, it was Adam. They both deserved happiness and he hoped that they would find it with each other. Tim followed his wife back to their suite. If anyone had done that to Jenika, that person would be a dead man.

       Adam was worried about how this would affect Cassie. He didn't want her to withdraw into herself again. He spoke to her softly.

        "He will never get a chance to hurt you again, I promise you that, Cassie. You have somehow gotten under my skin." She looked up at him in surprise. Did he truly feel something for her besides lust? She was afraid to believe that because she didn't want to end up with her heart broken. When she looked into his eyes she saw tenderness and something else that she didn't recognize. She felt her heart slam into her chest hard. Adam saw what he was feeling reflected in her eyes. He was getting to her, too. He just held onto her tightly for a minute before getting up to pour her a strong drink. He figured she could use one. So could he, in fact. He got them each a rum and coke. He had to suppress his rage when every time he saw the black eye. Stephen actually punched her. He forced himself to calm down. He didn't want her becoming skittish again.

         "I don't understand why you are being so nice to me. Most people listen to what Stephen says about me. No one has ever really tried to talk to me like you and your friends have. Other than the friends I used to have that he had scared off. Is it just because you feel sorry for me? On second thought, I'm not sure I want to know the answer to that," she said, looking down into her almost empty glass. She stood up to refill it. When she sat back down Adam took her hand.

        "I'll admit that I didn't like the way he was treating you in public when we first got here. After spending the last couple of days getting to know you a little, I know that you aren't what he says. You are a very sweet person. I'm a pretty good judge of character. The others like you. If Rob were here, he would've liked you. I wish I knew what else to say to make you feel better. I'm proud of you for trying to stand up for yourself."

       "It was hard to do but it did feel good. I can't believe that I actually slapped him. I have never done that before even though I had wanted to many times. I usually try to avoid confrontations."