War and Peace

I snapped into consciousness after recognising the aroma of cedarwood and bergamot. I struggled to open my eyes against the bright light that was shining in my face, but through the blur, I could see a redhead smiling down at me.

"Y/N, wake up!"

Jolting forward into her arms, I sighed deeply as I was reunited with Natasha.

"I was so worried about you!" breathing in her familiar scent.

Chuckling, she looked back at my chair and book which had been tossed aside in my rush to embrace her and tutted.

"Really, because it looks to me like you found my favourite spot instead of being worried about me."

"You know about this place?" I asked, failing to hide my genuine surprise.

"I'm going to pretend to not be offended and blame your rudeness on grogginess." Seeing my guilty face, she gave in and explained; "I like to come here when I have time, Tony managed to get some of my favourite Russian books from my childhood. I feel safe here, surrounded by so many of the greats," she finished, raising her arms at all the shelves before wincing.

"You're hurt! You should be in Bruce's lab!" I exclaimed, grabbing my stuff before guiding her to the door.

"Yeah, well there was something more important to do first."

"Like what?" I stopped short in front of the door before turning to her.

"Like see you, silly. And thank you. Clint explained how you helped him track me down, after telling me how amazing you were at it. I mean it's not like I haven't been telling him that for the past week but oh well."

Blushing, I carried on walking with my arm around her waist towards the medic lab.

"Well, Natasha, you're welcome. I can't lie, the act wasn't totally selfless," I shrugged whilst suppressing my chuckles.

"Oh really?"

"I mean, if you didn't come back, who else would give me massages!?"

"Is that all you see me for, Y/N?!" Natasha shrieked, using her free hand to smack the arm that was around her.

Laughing, I calmed her down by saying, "Of course not, Natahsha. I really don't know what I'd do without you. You've really helped me settle in and come out of my shell."

"Hmm, well I'll keep that in mind the next time I decide whether or not to get to kidnapped."

By this point, we had reached the medic lab, and Natasha was being taken from my arms by a nurse who, understandably, wanted to get some scans of Natasha.

Natasha POV:

The nurse was ushering me away from Y/N towards the MRI, but before she got me in there, I turned around to see Y/N hovering by the door. Catching her eye, I looked over to the chair, pleading her to stay. Getting my message, she nodded, and sat down next to me, pulling out her book from her pocket. The nurse turned to her saying;

"The scan will take about an hour, but you're more than welcome to talk to her to keep her occupied."

She eyed me and I gave her a weak smile, for the adrenaline was finally wearing off so the pain was increasing, signally her to start talking.

"So, you mentioned Russian books. Can I take a wild guess and say that some of them were Tolstoy?"

Slightly taken aback I said, "How did you know?"