Rule Two: Always Complete Your Mission (p.2)

In. 

Hold.

Out.

That's the pattern I've been breathing in for the last two hours. I can hold my breath for an hour tops but I can't allow myself to take more than one deep breath before I have to hold again for another fifteen minutes so I won't run out of air or start hyperventilating.

When the lid finally opened again I couldn't stop myself from taking in gulps of deep breaths all at once.

It was still dark out, considering it was around one in the morning.

Fintan looked down at me amusingly. "Get to bed, you have a mission in the morning. Be in the training room at five." I gave myself another second to breathe before I climbed out and headed back to my room.

The Neverseen was never big on personal space, so everyone who wasn't the leaders got to share a room. Lucky for me, I have my very own room.

I'm not sure why I do, but I'm not complaining. 

I walked into the small room with boring, gray walls and nothing but a bed and nightstand to decorate it. We were all given an alarm clock with the most annoying sounds to wake us up so no one was ever late.

I changed out of the same black clothes I wore every day and quickly rinsed myself off in the cold water of my barely working shower. Then, I changed into the same black pajamas I wear every night.

My feet dragged me over to the twin-sized bed, where I curled up with the small, gray blanket that felt itchy whenever it touched my skin. 

I went to sleep easily and got good sleep until the screeching noises of my alarm clock went off. I groaned and hit it to turn it off, wanting to chuck it at the wall and never see it again, but unfortunately, if I ever did that, the Neverseen would most likely kill me.

I got ready quickly and headed down to the training room where Lady Gisela, Fintan, and Vespera were all waiting. 

"Oh good, she's here! Moonlark, come here." I walked quickly to stand in front of them.

"We want you to retrieve some scrolls for us. They're being held by the black swan in their hideout. All you need to do is go in, find the scrolls, and give them straight to us. You leave in twenty minutes." Vespera said.

I nodded my head affirmatively and waited for further instructions.

"Now go get ready and practice a bit before you leave, this will be a solo mission."

I was caught off guard by that, I usually never get to go on solo missions, it's always with at least one person. Still, I nod and go back to my room. I drink the elixir that turns my eyes blue. I always had to drink it for missions so no one could identify me with my brown eyes.

Apparently, I was the only one with brown eyes out of all the Elves.

 I go back to the training room and head over to the weapons, quickly choosing the daggers, and begin practicing my fighting stances and moves until Fintan tells me it is time to go.

He handed me a leaping crystal, a cloak, and a melder to hide with my other weapons. 

"This leaping crystal will lead you to the hideout. Once you're there, you'll need to stay hidden and get past the guards in order to get to the main part where they're hiding the scrolls. Bring them back, straight to us."

I held the crystal up to the faint light, only looking at Fintan once before I light leaped away.