Chapter 44 - Yellow roses

As the weeks passed time grew closer and closer to Christmas, school had ended last week and Amelia had recently received a letter from James inviting her to his house for a Christmas eve. Marlene, Alice and Lily had also been invited; the Potter family were on their own for majority of the time. Yes, they had their house elves and James, however, James spent most of his time at Hogwarts meaning it was just Euphemia and Fleamont along with a few house elves. The Potter family had recently moved out to the country side, they had always owned some land there but never really used it. Euphemia had thought of the idea of moving there, this way they could do much more magic without the risk of Muggles seeing.

"Amelia," Fiorella spoke gesturing for her daughter to walk over. "Your father has asked for you to join him for a week, something about spending time over Christmas. Ofcourse if you don't wish to I understand and I'm sure I can come up with something." She grabbed nine items, all wrapped in tissue paper with a bow. "These gifts all have names on, be sure they are given to the right people dear." She hugged Amelia before watching her off into the fire place.

She could hear muffled voices as she travelled through the chimneys, making sure to keep her elbows in to be sure she didn't scrap them on the walls. She waited for impact to hit her feet showing she had arrived before stepping out.

"My goodness!" A lady shrieked, "you'd think all these years of magic yet Im still not used to that!" She walked over to the fireplace taking Amelias hand and helping her out. "I'm Euphemia and this is Fleamont."

"Thank you Mrs Potter-"

"Please, call me Euphemia."

"Then thank you Euphemia." Amelia smiled as she dusted some soot off her clothes. "My mother said to bring these flowers, something about her shop being closed." She handed Euphemia a bouquet of flowers.

"I believe everyone else is already here, first floor, bedroom at the end of the hallway." Euphemia took the flowers and placed them into a vase.

The walls has photos unpon photos of James and his parents, some even had Sirius. The house was filled with scents from candles which had melted already. Noise was coming from upstairs, mainly music and laughter; the floor was mostly wooden with soft rugs that matched with the walls. The walls were mostly warm tones, orange and red mainly. As she walked up the stairs she noticed the banister had five stockings on. Each read a different name: Fleamont, Euphemia, Sirius, James and Minnie. The banister also had silver tinsel wrapped around it that lit up slightly when someone walked past it. She continued up the stairs to the first floor, a long grey rug reached from one end of the hallway to the other. At the end was a big painting of people, behind it there was wallpaper that seemed to be of a tree. As she walked towards it she heard one of them speak.

"Hello dear, if you're looking for James his room is to the left." A women spoke in a calm tone, smiling softly at Amelia.

"Thank you, sorry if this seems rude but who are you?"

"We are all past members of the Potter family, the wall behind us the is family tree. When someone on the tree passes they are added to the painting, its an old spell done by the ancestors. Some say its a blessing, others would rather remain dead."

"Can you blame me-" A man spoke in a annoyed voice. His voice was scratchy and he coughed frequently.

"Hush," the women silenced him. "The girl doesn't want to hear your sob story. My apologies for him, he's an old soul who doesn't shut up." She glared at him. "I didn't catch your name, what was it?"

"Amelia Jones, and you?"

"Jones?" Various of them whispered among themselves before being silenced by the women.