Chapter 23, Part 1

Astrid's P. O. V:

In the council chambers of the castle, I stand beside Merlin and Jas, as Arthur gives his report to Uther

"The bandits probably have a stronghold somewhere in the White Mountains. How we escaped... I'll never know. Although, some credit must go to my servant, Merlin," Arthur adds with a wave of his hand at him. This causes me to pat Merlin's arm once in congratulations and send him a grin, as Uther nods his head. Merlin barely smiles back at me.

"Dispatch a patrol. I want these men caught and brought to justice," Uther demands.

"Immediately, father," Arthur says.

Uther says, putting his hand on his son's shoulder as they and Morgana start leaving the room, "For a moment, we'd feared you'd miss the Lady Morgana's birthday."

Arthur says as he grins back at the green eyed woman, "It'd take more than a bunch of thieves to keep me from such a feast."

"I can promise it'll be quite a night," Uther says.

"Morgana, can I borrow you for a minute?" I ask. Morgana nods her head and follows me out to the hall. I exchange a glance with Merlin, before I look back at Morgana. I follow Morgana to a dim corner outside the council chambers. "I just wanted to ask, what you would like for your birthday?"

"I'm not really sure. Maybe a new dagger. Or a sword. Uther and Arthur will most likely get me jewellery," Morgana replies.

I say, "I'll see what I can do. I'll see you later, Morgana."

"Of course, Astrid. I'll leave you to it," Morgana says, before I turn and head back to Merlin to see how he's doing, as I'd noticed he'd appeared to be quite shaken up.

I sit opposite to Merlin, at dinner that night. If invited him tonight as he hadn't had time to tell me if his mission yet.

Pressing his fingers to the bridge of his nose, Merlin murmurs, "Astrid, I can't get these visions out of my head." During dinner, he'd told me of his discovery of the Crystal Caves and of the visions of Morgana killing Uther he'd seen.

I whisper to him, You are extremely lucky to have seen the Crystal Cave. Before the Great Purge, wizards would talk about it with reverence. I've once visited it myself, many a century ago. It was the most breathtaking place I'd ever seen."

Merlin asks as he raises his head, "The man who lead me there, who is he?"

I scoff, "Who was he. He died, I'd say, about 300 years ago." Merlin widens his eyes as he tilts his head curiously at me. "Taliesin was a great Seer in the Great Kings of Old. It is said that the Crystal Cave was the source of his prophecies."

Merlin furrows his brows as he says, "When he told me... He said there was a reason I was brought there, at this moment in time. Why?" He adds, "It must mean the events I saw are imminent. Morgana is going to kill Uther."