Chapter 32, Part 1

Astrid's P. O. V:

I watch from my chamber window with Jas as performers pile into the courtyard, a couple wearing face paint and wings and strange costumes. We grin as a man holding a woman with just his hands, while she's upside down above him. The man thrusts her up and she does a forward flip, before landing safely in his arms.

The onlookers cheer and clap as Jas and I do. We watch a man juggling wooden pins.

"That's all for Arthur's birthday?" I ask.

Jas nods as she says, "It is indeed. He gets circus performers and the whole package deal."

"Well, he is Crown Prince," I say, as we pull back from the window. "Do you think Uther will join the celebration?"

"It's hard to say," Jas says. "Though I don't think Uther will want to miss his own son's birthday, even in his current condition."

"Well, we'll see, I suppose," I say.

I'd gotten Arthur a a new pair of black boots.

Later that evening, I'm wearing my long sleeved blue dress with a belt and my sapphire necklace and matching earrings and ring that sits on my right index finger, while some of my hair is tied in a waterfall ponytail. My crown of moonstones sits on my head.

 My crown of moonstones sits on my head

Jas has already left to head for the banquet hall

I turn when there's a knock on the door. "Come in!"

The door opens to reveal Merlin. He grins goofily when he sees me in my red dress. "You look beautiful, Astrid."

"Arthur wants you at the feast. Shall we?" He holds out his arm to me. I giggle as I nod and get Arthur's present, as well as the others.

"We shall!" Merlin and I leave the Physician's Quarters and head for the banquet hall. When we get there, we see the performers already at work. I was surprised to see Uther is sitting next to Arthur. Uther looks stunned as he meets my gaze, no doubt catching sight of my arched ears. I don't look away, but I tighten my grip on Merlin's arm. However, the king just smiles and inclines his head as though in acknowledgement when he sees me and Merlin.