Flowers........18

"You aren't allowed to leave," Sam says blocking the doorway. 

"Come on dad I'm just going to school," Riley says trying to get around her father. It was her first day of high school and needless to say Sam was having some attachment issues. "Look Alex and his brother are already here," She says looking over her father's shoulders. The bowl with car keys sitting on the entryway table was sliding back and forth encased in purple magic. Something that happens when Riley gets anxious.

"Sam, let her go," Marley said walking into the room, a three-year-old Drew toddling along after her. "Jesus, your acting like it's her very first day of school," reluctantly Sam left the doorway allowing Riley to leave the house. 

"Thank you, Momma," Riley says as she walks to the door. 

"Of course sweets, have a good day!" She replies. 

"I will love you! Love you too dad," She says kissing Sam on the cheek as she passes him. 

"Love you," He says watching out the window as Riely gets in the car and it pulls away. "High school, already. Where did the time go?" 

"They can't stay little forever," Marley says walking up next to him. "We still have that one though," She says as Drew pulls on his father's pants leg. 

"We sure do," Sam replies picking up Drew. "What are we going to do today little man?" He says walking to the living room.

"Hey don't forget about me," Marley complains following after her boys. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Animals are fed and walked, the child is asleep, and we have the house to ourselves, what do you want to do?" Sam asks wrapping his arms around Marley's waist as she looks out the window. 

"Hmm, I don't know," Marley replied leaning into her husband's embrace. Somehow they ended up outside, Sam was sitting in the grass with Marley's head in his lap with a baby monitor in the grass next to them. She was making flower crowns with the wildflowers growing in their backyard. Sam just watched, watches as her fingers gently wove one flower into the next. After what could've been minutes of hours Marley sat up turning to face Sam. Very gently she placed the crown on his head a sweet smile on her face as she did so. Like nothing happened Marley resumed her spot to make another crown using her powers to bring flowers to her. 

When she was finished she sat up again, this time Sam gently took the flowers and placed them on her head. the crown sat slightly offset on top of her dark brown hair. Sam looked at her like he always has, like no other person in the world existed. it was just them. His hand wrapped around Marley's neck and he pulled her close to him. Placing his lips on her like he's done hundreds of times. Just like every time though sparks went off. 

Eventually, the couple went back inside planning on seeing Riley after her day of school. Instead, they came inside to a note that read. 

I came home to you two being all lovey and gross so I went to see Aunt Sarah and Uncle Bucky, I had a great day, and I promise to call, Love you - Riley. 

Sam laughed at how similar Riley was to her mother because Sam knew that Riley is a hopeless romantic even though she says stuff like this. Eventually Drew woke up from his nap, toddlers only sleep so long after all, and just like that the calmness of the afternoon had dissolved back into the craziness of having a family.