Chapter Twenty-three

Subduing the Queen Bee

"So, where are we heading?" Little Bee asked while they were on the road.

The two hadn't talked since they departed from the Estate, and an unpleasant silence was starting to settle within the car. Well, it was mostly awkward for the auburn-haired teen given how she kept fidgeting uncomfortably in her seat. Sharael didn't seem to mind the silence as he softly hummed to some pop music playing in the stereo.

"You'll see." Was all he said to the girl riding shotgun then he threw a fleeting glance at the side mirror.

Little Bee's face crumpled to a scowl and straightaway complained, "What the fuck do you mean that I'll see? Can't you just tell me?"

"What difference will it make? Besides, we'll be arriving there shortly," Sharael countered back. His indifferent gaze was fixed on the road while steering the car. Only once in a while would he glance at the side mirror.

"Oh my moon goddess, you're so fucking annoying!" The short-tempered teen threw her hands up in frustration.

Sharael gave her an inquisitive side glance. "Moon goddess?"

"Shut up!" she snapped and huffily crossed her hands across her chest.

"Okay." He shrugged and focused back on the road.

Little Bee glared at the insensible bastard who continued to hum the stupid music playing in the damn radio. A moment later, she asked again, "What happened to your phone? Did you switch it off on purpose?"

"..." Sharael kept silent.

"Why aren't you answering me?" demanded the rankled teen.

"I thought you told me to shut up."

"Oh, screw you!" she growled and turned to glower out the window.

Sharael chuckled. It was always fun pushing the girl's sensitive buttons, but there was a limit. If it was his sweet Mia, he would have teasingly patted her head and enjoyed watching her cute pout. This feisty foulmouthed youth, on the other hand, was a different case. There was no telling if he would lose some fingers from even attempting a simple friendly pat on her shoulder.

"Okay jeez, I was just teasing. You should lighten up more often," he told her while rolling his eyes. "My phone got crashed that's why you couldn't reach me."

"Whatever." Little Bee muttered back then completely ignored the irksome driver by pulling out her Bluetooth earphones. She inserted both earbuds and switched them on to automatically play her music playlist from her phone she pocketed.

"You know those things aren't good for your ears." Sharael lectured albeit knowing she couldn't hear him.

Once again, he glanced at the side mirror and this time he shook his head and tut-tutted. Secretly tailing them was a black Toyota Land Cruiser. Although they tried to be discreet by hiding behind the traffic, the sharp-eyed Sharael had long noticed them. He deduced they were Little Bee's bodyguards. As expected, the General was still wary of him.

"Hmph figures! Just for today I'll let that geezer have his way," he scoffed in thought and paid them no further heed.

Sharael drove southwards towards the Pendotamu Bridge. It looked as if he was heading back to the main island, but then took a certain bypass cutting towards the east. Their destination soon came into view after driving for a short while. Even though Little Bee broodily stuck to her side of the window, her curious eyes were looking around to discern where he was taking them.