Chapter Thirty

Proud Women

The Vampire Queen was clad in a white off-the-shoulder floral dress with a brown floppy summer hat donned on top her blond hair. Her outfit looked simple and casual, yet she managed to rock it like a summertime model. She stood there in the lobby with a genuine bright smile looking at the dumbstruck Sharael. Oh, how she loved that look on his face.

"Surprise!" she exclaimed excitedly.

However, Sharael just dumbly stood there with his mouth ajar. His gaping eyes subconsciously sized up the sensual woman before him, not failing to take in how the dress outlined her hourglass figure, and Isabella couldn't be any merrier.

She even did a model pose and purred with a sultry smile, "Like what you see, my love?"

"W-what are y-you doing here...? H-how did y-you f-find this place...?" Sharael stammered after finding his voice.

Isabella gave him a playful pout. "Why, can't I come and surprise my darling sweetheart? And it's not like your address is top secret."

"Y-you c-can't be here..."

"Huh? And why not?" She cocked an eyebrow.

"Because..."

"Because?" Isabella stepped closer till their faces were inches apart.

Sharael gulped to the sudden closeness. He should be stepping back, except his feet were unresponsive. When he tried to formulate a response, soft groans sounded from inside the apartment.

Isabella's brows creased immediately and glanced past him into his apartment. Without waiting for an invitation, she pushed him aside and entered. What greeted her inside caused her to let out a low guttural growl.

*******

Laila fluttered her eyes open, but then frowned at the unfamiliar place. This was not her apartment. Soon memories flooded in and she quickly sat up, only to clutch her head and groan when she felt a slight headache. It was nothing severe, so she persevered through it. She sat there and stared down at the bed that belonged to... him.

How can she face him now? The man she found the most detestable_ a man she could only liken to a rogue beast and the worst thing to have ever come to her life_ was the one who risked his life to save her. How did he even do it? Did he pay some ransom? That's highly unlikely. No offense, but the guy was a pauper through and through. If paying for rent on time was an issue, how could he get ransom money? The only possibility was that he involved the police somehow.

Still, the fact remained that he rescued her. But why? Why after how she has been constantly mistreating him? Well, he did deserve it. The guy was the definition of a shameless bastard. Then again, the vow he spoke last night. Did he mean it? Will he protect her? Laila should be scoffing at that. She has always been taking care of herself, though the idea of having at least that one person to lean on when things get rough wasn't so bad.

All of a sudden, what sounded like a growl startled her to look up. While still in her thoughts, Laila failed to notice the presence of someone. A woman to be in fact. And boy was she dead gorgeous! Even the landlady, who usually isn't easily intimidated by such beauty, felt self-conscious of herself. She sat there gawking at the woman, wondering who she was and why she was here.

"Who is she?" the woman demanded in a curt voice. Those striking hazel eyes were narrowed down to a glare.

Laila frowned, only to realize the question was directed to Sharael who appeared shortly looking flustered. "Uh, this is Laila, the Landlady and Caretaker of the apartment," he introduced in a rushed voice.