Chapter Twenty-six

That Lingering Scent

Later that evening, a red Lamborghini Urus was zooming down the Milele Highway. It was one of the city's major highways located far west into main Island. Although there was some traffic along the way, the shameless driver still managed to maneuver past as he had switched on the hazard lights to fool other drivers to give way. Still, there were some who easily saw through his guile and expressed their displeasures through honking back fiercely. It wasn't like they weren't in a hurry too. Regardless, the driver could care less as he sped off.

"Do you have to drive like a maniac? Slow the fuck down!" Little Bee tightly grasped the seatbelt fastened across for dear life.

"Slow down?" Sharael glanced at the panicky girl and quirked an eyebrow. "Why would I do that?"

He was only driving with one hand, while the other leisurely hanged out the window. Since the Lamborghini Urus was automatic, Sharael didn't have to constantly shift the gears. Furthermore, he wasn't worried about being pulled over for speeding because, Little Bee's identity alone as the Former General's granddaughter was already a getaway gold card.

After their supposed training, which regretfully didn't consist of much other than some circuit runs and simple body stretches, Sharael just wanted to rush to the airport and deliver back Little Bee as promised. Mostly because there was his pay included.

The girl in question was full of complaints because all the 'hyped up training' was all for naught. They, or rather she, only exercised for more than an hour before Sharael called it quits, saying they would be late. Those simple workouts were nothing to her since she was a werewolf. She even didn't break a sweat, much to Sharael's surprise.

Upon hearing his unconcerned response, Little Bee was about to offer a curt reply but something up ahead had her screaming in sheer terror. Sharael daringly squeezed the car in between two tank trucks driving so close and simultaneously. The truck drivers sternly hooted back as if asking if he had a death wish for risking such a move.

"Are you insane, you suicidal bastard?" Little Bee barked at him.

"What's the fuss all about, Little Bee? We've gone through much worse than this." Sharael reminded her of that fateful day they were being chased. He then glanced down at the car's clock which read 7:10 p.m. and continued, "We're already 10 minutes late. That stubborn old geezer would give me shit all evening. Even probably refuse to pay me as promised."

The girl's face contorted in disbelief. This crazy bastard was actually speeding this recklessly just for the money. Was it more important than their lives?

"You're sick," she muttered.

"What was that?" Sharael gazed at her.

"Oh my moon goddess! Keep your fucking eyes on the road before you fucking kill us all!" Little Bee snapped back, and recoiled almost immediately as their car switched lanes abruptly to overtake a matatu up front.

"You know if you hadn't taken your sweet time in the changing room, we wouldn't be in this situation," Sharael countered back as he glanced at the karate GI uniform Little Bee had clad again. The other clothes she trained in already stashed back in the duffle bag.

"Just shut up and drive," the teen growled and almost regretted it when Sharael gave her an evil grin.

"Oh my dear Little Bee, why didn't you say so?" He cackled merrily and stepped on the gas, causing the car to thrust forward with a roar and Little Bee to scream her lungs out.

It didn't take long before they arrived at the Vonza International Airport, much to Little Bee's relief. After passing through the tight security checkpoints, Sharael pulled up the car in the parking and was left stunned when the girl jumped out without second thought. She then darted towards where her grandfather was patiently waiting, obviously to go and complain.