Chapter Twenty-four

The Estranged Stranger Returns

That same evening found Laila returning back to her apartment building from the market downtown. She was carrying two large carrier bags in both hands, each containing fresh stock to sustain her for the entire month. Although the heavy bags weighed her down that she appeared to be tottering, she still hurried along the sidewalk with her determined gaze trained straight ahead. Her standoffishness discouraged anyone from approaching to offer any assistance. That was the kind of woman she was; strong, tenacious and independent.

Despite the overall aloofness on her demeanor, a certain sadness was hidden underneath. Given her muddy legal situation with the City Council, it was to be expected. However, what troubled her at the moment was another thing altogether. Laila felt unsafe being out there in the streets. And this forbidding feeling started after she finished shopping for grocery at Mama Bahati's shop.

The woman owning the shop was a dear friend, hence why Laila was a regular customer there. Everyone knew her as Mama Bahati because she only had one seven-year-old son going by the name of Bahati Kamaa. The shopkeeper was also notorious for being a chatterbox and a gossiper. Many locals who were familiar with her avoided her like a plague. Only Laila tolerated the garrulous woman.

Mama Bahati was actually a fun woman to hang with, despite her social flaws. Her stories, which could as well be the latest gossips in the street, seemed to entertain the reserved landlady. Laila would often hang around the shop to chat, and cared less about the concerned or dirty looks she got from the passersby.

Today was different, though. When Laila came by the shop, she was surprised to find Mama Bahati closing up early. It was strange because she often closes late in the evening. Even her current state looked nothing like her usual chatty self. She would dart nervous glances at the crowded streets as if afraid someone would attack her at any moment's notice.

"Oh, mpenzi wangu, you shouldn't be here. Quickly hurry back home and lock your doors," she anxiously told the perplexed Laila. "The streets are no longer safe."

Obviously, Laila pressed for more clarification and the fretting woman only cried out the words, "A gang war is looming!"

Being born and bred in the city, Laila naturally knew about the criminal underground syndicates. They have been a constant pain in the ass, especially to the innocent local business owners who have shops in their supposed turfs. Having the authorities kept in their pocket, these hooligans have been left free to commit their felonies without worry.

Still, people adapted and paid whatever was due. Everything was fine for a time, but now they were threatening the peace by going to some senseless war. Surely, the authorities can't turn a blind eye to this. Innocents would be hurt or even worse. Then again, who was she kidding? The same local police meant to protect and serve them were part of the mob.

It came as no surprise to Laila how Mama Bahati knew of the impending war. The woman had a talent for gathering information that many would overlook it as mere gossip and lies, except Laila knew otherwise. As they all say, where there's smoke, there's fire. She would be a fool if she didn't take that woman's warning seriously.

Since it was the evening rush hour, the streets were crowded and roads congested with traffic. Fortunately, Laila managed to snake through and around it and reached the Warda Apartments. However, what greeted her at the entrance froze her on the spot.

There were two men standing in front of the building. One was a dark-suited tall Black man and the other was a middle-aged man of Arab descent. The former was unfamiliar to Laila, but the Arab man was. Her focus was solely on him. Dressed in a white thobe and a red and white shemagh scarf tied around his head, Laila easily recognized the man because he was none other than her father.