Chapter Eighteen

The Council

Isabella's mansion had a well-crafted palatial undercroft that was brick-lined and vaulted. The room, just like all the other rooms, still had the medieval design. Flaming torches hanging around at certain intervals provided some dim light; the formed animated shadows giving the room an uncanny feel. It was here where a large round wooden table was placed in the middle, with five wooden throne chairs tucked in around.

On the table were five mazer cups ornamented with a tinge of gold and silver inscriptions, each placed before a respective seat. The table also had a golden candelabra set in the middle, which provided a flickering light from the lit candles. If not for the installed modern air humidifier softly humming from some corner, anyone would easily mistake the times to be in the middle ages.

An elderly figure with a slight hunchback moved around arranging and rearranging everything to perfection. He was dressed in an Italian butler suit with a black bowtie that fit his groomed elderly frame. The old man was Grandpa Han.

Distinguished guests were expected here for a summit. So, the place had to be as neat as a new pin. Reason for the archaic setting was because the guests were not normal visitors. They were ancient beings_ vampires to be precise. And not just any vampire but the entire Vampire Council; comprising of the four Rulers and their Royal Entourage!

They were expected tonight as summoned by their Queen. Isabella could be counted as a Ruler as well, but her influence dominated over all the other Rulers. After all, she's the oldest and the most powerful vampire. Believed to be the first pure and noble blood. So, her summoning the Council could not be ignored whatsoever.

While Grandpa Han was busy musing if he had missed anything, a sudden deep sniff from behind caused the hairs on the back of his neck to stand. He spun around quickly and found himself face-to-face with a tall and slender man. More accurately a vampire, as revealed from the pair of fangs protruding from his grinning wide lips.

The vampire was unexpectedly devilishly handsome. He had curly black hair which perfectly brought out his midnight blue monolid eyes. His well-groomed beard lined the edges of his defined strong jaws, which converged at the chin to connect with his trimmed mustache. His sun kissed skin actually contrasted the pale skin that vampires normally have. Dressed in a stylish black Mandarin collar suit, he appeared to be in his early 30s, but Grandpa Han knew better. From the old man's guarded facial expression, this unfamiliar male vampire was not to be trifled with.

"My, oh my Han Xiao, your mortal blood makes me so ravenous. How about a little taste? I promise I won't take more than it's needed," the vampire spoke in Mandarin while licking his lips voraciously.

Grandpa Han's face immediately contorted with fear and tried backing away, except the table stood in the way. "Y-you can't...! Her Majesty would never allow it. Y-you are only s-seeking trouble..." he stuttered out in Mandarin.

"Aww... Isabella won't mind. I'm certain of it. C'mon, just one bite." The vampire took a step closer and completely cornered the old man. His grin turned wicked as he tilted his head to the side; a trademark move for any vampire that's ready to pounce at one's neck.

"Stop scaring the little boy, Yang Maroun." An exasperated sigh suddenly sounded from behind the opened entrance to the undercroft.

Another handsome middle-aged gentleman walked in. He was followed by a group of five men and one woman, all dressed in full black suits and red ties. They looked like some government agents with their stoic faces and tinted dark shades, which they still wore even under the room's dim light.

The man was clad in plain khaki suit that fit perfectly his tall, sturdy frame. He had grey ducktail hair that was tinged with some brown. His sharp brown eyes that shone with extreme profoundness scanned the entire room before settling at the two men.