Chapter Thirty-six

Twinning

Mia was in her bedroom seated across her small concave mirror and keenly looking at her magnified face reflection with a slight frown. From time to time, she would hum while pondering.

The girl had actually dolled up her face_ something she rarely does. Now she was overwhelmed with so much uncertainty. The basic makeup gave her a transformation, but she was unsure if she had overdone it. Well, the concealer seamlessly hid the freckles, except she felt her oily skin would ruin everything eventually.

"Perhaps a bit of powder and blush would do...?" she deliberated aloud.

Mia didn't own the complete makeup kit. Hers was the cheap rated ones, so it lacked some essentials, but still did the trick. What triggered the girl to surprisingly put on makeup, was the image of a certain person that kept plaguing her mind.

The teenage girl was heartbroken when Sharael confessed about kissing that woman. She was angry but also sad because it was an inevitability. That woman was drop-dead gorgeous. Her flawless beauty was unrivaled. Of course, Sharael would be charmed.

Furthermore, the woman was more mature and seemingly richer than her. Mia would be kidding herself to even compare with the likes of her. It was an absolute mismatch.

The poor girl felt inadequate. But then again, she remembered the declaration Sharael made that day at the market...

"... She is now my Crowned Princess and soon to be my beautiful Queen. This is My Decree!"

At the time, Mia only considered those words as flattery. However, her soul would always stir whenever she remembered them. She couldn't explain it, only that she felt those words were far from being simple. It was a vow. A vow to have a future together. What's more, Sharael wasn't the type to play with her feelings. That woman, called Isabella or whatever, must have played dirty to get the upper hand, but Mia would be sure to fight her tooth and nail.

Naturally, for the innocent girl that meant figuratively. Nevertheless, the fact remained that Sharael chose her first. He was hers!

Mia looked at her reflection one more time and nodded in satisfaction. Her eyes were burning with a newfound determination. She finished everything by spraying herself with her favorite perfume, and then checked her phone. Those lips glazed with brown lipstick soon curled up to a devious grin upon seeing the missed calls from none other than Sharael. She had been ignoring his calls on purpose. A part of her longed to talk to him, but she wanted to punish the idiot a bit.

"Mia, are you ready?" her mother called out suddenly.

"Yes, mama!" Mia answered back.

Since it was a Sunday, the pair were heading to church like they normally do. Mia was already dressed up, and beautifying herself was but an experiment. Although she didn't fancy it, she wanted to see if she would attract some attention. Perhaps that would give her the needed confidence.

Her mother was taken aback once Mia stepped out. She examined the girl from head to toe and asked, "What's this?"

"What?" Mia asked back, feigning ignorance.

"Is that... Are you wearing makeup?"

Mia frowned. "Is it a problem?"

"No. Not at all... It is just that..." Her mother was lost for words.

"Mama, we'll be late for the service," Mia spoke dismissively and brushed past her mother, who looked on with incredulity.

"Ayah... Has she finally reached that phase...?" she murmured while scratching her temple.