flashback

A/N: Can be read read as a sequel to <dearest hatrack> 

The days following the infamous incident with Shibusawa and the House of Rats was troublesome and stressful for everyone. A lot of shit had went down in the span of a few hours. All the Ability users in both the important organisations- the Armed Detective Agency and the Port Mafia- had been separated into the unlikeliest groups.

It had all started in the dead of the night; Atsushi and Kyouka had noticed something strange and tried to get to the Agency as soon as possible. On their way, they were attacked by their own abilities, and soon they figured out that they had, in fact, lost their supernatural ability. It had somehow been separated from their body.

On meeting with Kunikida-san, everything had finally come to light. Well, some of it, which could be explained by mere observations. For one, all the civilians in Yokohama had disappeared without a trace. Only those possessing abilities had been left behind. As one would expect, the city was shrouded in abrupt silence. It wasn't the peaceful kind either; there was buzzing tension in the atmosphere all around them.

Eventually, Kunikida-san had to be left behind at the office, trying to hold back his own ability with the Agency's official weapons. Soon after, Atsushi and Kyouka had gotten grouped with Mafia member, Akutagawa. The three of them already had a lot of residual tension between them; this situation just made things more awkward.

Meanwhile, Dazai was in a meeting with Shibusawa and Fyodor, the leader of the House of Rats. The detective seemed to be one of the antagonists; the three of them dressed in matching pearly whites, holding a meeting regarding Yokohama's destruction on top of a weird tower. 

Akutagawa had seen the scene with his own eyes, and now couldn't help but think that Dazai had betrayed the good side as well. It was either that, or he had been abducted. And anybody who even knew of Dazai, knew that abducting him was no easy feat. Shibusawa and Fyodor certainly couldn't do so on their own.

Then one thing led to the other, and Akutagawa and Kyouka managed to reclaim their abilities. They realised that the only way to do so was by breaking the red crystal on the foreheads of the embodiments of their abilities. As they would later find out, this was Shibusawa's doing. He was planning to steal all the abilities in Yokohama for himself; and separating them from their users' bodies was the first step of it.

Further ahead, Mori and Fukuzawa, leaders of the two organisations, fought each other's abilities to reclaim them. The other members of the Agency managed to do so too. Except Atsushi. Apparently, one has to respect their ability; truly be appreciative of them in order to reclaim them within their own body. The weretiger boy wasn't exactly at that point yet. A whole lot of flashbacks to past trauma later, Atsushi was finally reminded of certain essential details of his past that he had forgotten. But he managed to overcome his past and his fears, and reclaimed his tiger. The tiger was a friend; he came to terms with that little fact.

On the other side of the situation, Fyodor and Shibusawa had managed to betray each other and Dazai. As a result, the detective was stabbed by a knife laced with poison. The other two just left him there; no way of escape since he couldn't really move. He lost consciousness soon enough, blood dripping out of the stab wound on his back.

A few thousand feet above them, Nakahara Chuuya, a Port Mafia executive, easily broke into a government plane which was trying to monitor the situation. Of course, in his true fashion, he left behind a a trail of dead bodies of the guards he'd killed, as he made his way to his final target, Sakaguchi Ango. A few threats and a deal with Ango's life on the line later, Chuuya was standing at the exit of the plane, looking down at the city so beloved to him.