Chapter 32: One Night

I stared. Struck by what I was seeing there in front of me.
Crying, I thought, dazed. Christilia's crying!
This was rather unexpected, if you think back to the past few months. She talked under her breath, yelled at everypony, and acted as if I was trying to overthrow her. Now she was crying?
What next?! I shook my head.
As I stared at my love, whom I hadn't truly spoken to in weeks I felt an urge. An urge to run to her. To comfort her.
She's still Christilia, I thought, sternly. I still love her.
I furrowed my brow. Yes, I would go to her. If there's a chance she'd changed this could be there moment. Who cares what's been happening? I need to be with her. I stepped forward and into her room.
Even in the room I could tell the state of things was... messy. Paintings were tilted and askew, some were even on the ground. Her dresser mirror was cracked, giving it a dangerous look.
It's as if she went into a fit or something!
I felt scared seeing this place, it deepened the fact that something was very wrong.
"Christilia?" I called out, not expecting an answer. "Are you alright?"
There was more crying. Then,
"Y-Yes?" her voice called out to me, it was cracked and trembling. "Gloria?"
I stepped forward and lay down beside her on the floor.
"Yeah, it's me," I answered.
Her cheek was pressed against mine. Then, letting out a sob, she buried her head in my chest.
"They're gone," she whispered. "They're all gone."
I was taken aback. What did she—. Then I saw what she had been looking at. Lying on the ground between her hooves lay a photo. It was old and weathered, but even so I could immediately tell who it showed. Queen Amethyst sat proudly next to her family. King Emerald looked... happy. In the few hours I'd known him he'd seemed angry and cold.
Huh, guess everypony has a good side after all.
And then, in the middle, looking very small and very awkward, sat Christilia. I smiled softly. I remembered when we were young, when we met, and all the chaos that followed.
But we're still here! Maybe a bit different, but neither of us has left. We're still together.... and I continue to love her.
I looked down at Christilia. I sighed, softly. Slowly, I gently rested my head on hers. Her warmth spread over me like the brightest ray of sun.
We're ok. We're gonna be ok.