Chapter 5: Growing and Changing

Blank.

Everything was blank.

Buzzing.

Everything was buzzing.

Empty.

Everything felt empty.

I opened my eyes, slowly everything adjusted, the kingdom came into view and I gasped. Everything was in ruins. I stumbled trying to get up and my head was throbbing. I looked around, I could see that Christilia and her family were safe and helping the villagers that were injured or confused, but I couldn't see my mother anywhere.

"Mother???" I called out desperately.

I felt a gentle hoof on my shoulder.

"She sacrificed herself to stop Queen Lamia." Queen Sunbeam said softly. "Gloria, she's gone."

One year later...

Everything was different and when I say "everything" I mean "EVERYTHING". My mother was gone, Queen Sunbeam was once again queen of El Turnia and on top of that was my father. Yes, my father King Aura, since my mother died he hadn't been the same, of course neither was I, but in his case it was much different. It was as if he had disappeared, faded into the background, we tried but nothing we did would help him now. Queen Sunbeam had said that nothing could heal a broken heart except time, but it's been a whole year and nothing's changed, so I'm on my own now, my mother's dead, my father is well pretty much dead too, and my grandma is running a kingdom. I'm not old enough to rule El Turnia and my father is incapable of ruling at all, so my grandmother had to take over once again. She's a fine ruler, but my grandmother is OLD and ruling a kingdom is taking a toll on her. I sighed, so much had changed since I woke up a year ago thinking the day would be terrible and it had been at least it seemed to be, but now being late to breakfast is the least of my worries and I seemed so foolish back then, and now look where I am! I know that nothing can go back to normal and for some reason I don't want it to.