Chapter 45: The Library

I stood in front of the old wooden case, it had its back to the wall, where the room was. Old tattered books lined its shelves, most had titles like:

A QUEEN'S JOURNEY THROUGH DINING ETIQUETTE

Or

RULING 101

Supposedly all to help queens become more.... civilized.

I'm perfectly civilized as I am, I don't need these stupid things!

Then I smiled, Christilia had always disagreed with me when it came to reading these. I remember the night I found her, asleep in the library, every book from this shelf by her hooves. I laughed softly and that laugh became a cry, until I was sobbing my heart out. I just missed her so much, I wanted her back, what had my life become? When was the last time I ate and had a normal conversation? When was the last time I slept by Christilia's side and she wasn't crying? I stood there, letting my sobs rack my body, letting it all out.

If you want her back just get the tokens already!

I sighed, a shaky breath in and out. Then I raised my head, wiping the tears from my glistening eyes and looked. I searched the fifth shelf for the book / lever to open the room. There it was! An old text with the title

A QUEEN'S GUIDE TO MAGIC

Smart choice.

I lay my hoof on the top of its yellow spine and pulled it backwards. A few clicks and groans and the shelf was sliding open in an arc. I stepped back, letting it open fully before entering. When I'd gotten in I swung it shut, didn't want anypony to follow me. As I looked around, memories swept over me, the orb, the light, the magic.

Now it may be beautiful, but do not get sidetracked! Just get the tokens and get out!

I nodded to myself and continued onward. Long wooden shelves lined the walls, golden telescopes sat on top, and tall glass windows let rays of sunshine shining down. Dust sparkled, illuminated in the glow, they looked like tiny magic fireflies, dancing in the air. There were wide staircases, stone floors, wood floors, beautiful woven red carpets, and a silver locked chest on a pedestal where the orb used to be.

There they are.

I ran to the chest, feeling it's cold surface, feeling the power. A matching silver lock hung from the closed opening. A dial of letters on one side glistened as I turned it to the side.

The code, gotta enter the code.

I spun the dial, landing on A, then U, then R, and back to A.

Aura, my father's name.

I'd chosen the code of course, Christilia wanted to do Jewel, after her kingdom. We had our second fight over that silly thing. I stopped myself, biting my lip before I started to cry again.

Keep it in.

I pressed the round button in the cent of the lock and it clicked. It felt to the floor with a Klunk! sound and the case opened. A faint glow came from the gems, each one a color of the rainbow.

Beautiful.

I picked one up, the red, magic. I felt it's smooth sides, along with the pain and grief that filled my heart.

This is it, my one chance of survival.... let's hope it works.