chapter 5

The following Tuesday. Still January. also, this is 2036 using the 2019-2020 life setting.

Today was exceptionally slow. In nearly all the classes there was something new to learn that I know I need to learn, but there were times I'd really have to try to break my blank gaze from the whiteboard. Eva broke me from my daze at least twice in the classes we shared on Tuesdays. What would almost immediately bring me back is the fact that this is just the second year of high school and from here on out I need to keep a high score.

Ms. Gyllenhaal didn't even bother to call on me during math, so that was a good thing. She kept sneaking concerned glances though. And I just concluded, once and for all, that she had some sort of connection to my family.
For the remainder of math, I decided that I'd just rest my head. Maybe I was taking in too much of other people's energy or maybe I was getting PMS.

Though I don't recall feeling so dull and tired before my cycle. So I stuck with energy vampires. Seemed most reasonable to me.

"Bekati."

I looked at the stern voice that belonged to Sabrina.

"Yeah? What's up?"

"Not you, that's for sure. What happened last night?"

"I'd like to say falling asleep at 3 am and waking up at 6.30 am but that would be fabricated. I don't know." I mumbled.

"Remember that Ms Jacklyn should  return today?"

I groaned in response but she began to whisper in my ear. And I swear, I felt shivers.

"I think Ms. Pettis will be teaching us for a while." She moved backwards and kept a pair of brows up.

"Oh. That's nice."

She did that thing with your mouth to show you're impressed, jokingly, so I prodded her mind a bit.

"Wait why that face?? Do you think I like her??" I whispered just a bit more awake now.

She shamelessly nodded before she continued, again like she was reading my mind. 

"According to pedos and young adult to old people couples, 'Age is but a number.'"

I've never side-eyed her before today with such disgust at that statement.

"Dude, ew." I lifted my head before shaking it in disgust. "I don't like her. I picked up something off about her as well but I've been taking it lightly. Just not being too friendly with her." 

"And how's that going, honey?" She smiled sassily. If that wasn't a thing before, she invented it then.

"It's... needing a lot of work." I put my head back down

She probably just nodded in response. I don't know what to think in terms of why I lack this much energy today. Sure I had low energy now and then, but this is probably the second time this month. I get it every two months. I-

The class bell rang, and the students heaved relieved sighs before rushing out to lunch. All except me of course. And Sabrina probably was having none of it.

She shook me, trying to get me up. But I'd just groan in response. The teacher walked up to me and tried to get me to get up too. But stopped and resorted to getting the nurse when I mentioned that I was just feeling 'powerless and tired.' And if that didn't get me to sit up and pull up my bag, I don't know what else would.

When we arrived at the lunchroom it was a different situation. The loud chatter was actually beginning to make my head pulsate. We took a seat, Sabrina took out the lunch she brought, and I wiped the table a bit before resting my head.