Chapter 3

She just needs to know you're there.

Time skip, 1 week

Music played in my earbuds as I sat at the lunch table waiting for the urge to even eat. We're maybe halfway through to lunch and I haven't made any attempts whatsoever to eat with or even befriend anyone to sit with me. Sabrina wasn't feeling well and my brother normally hangs out with his friends during this time so I was really feeling out of luck today. But that is quite ok because this happens a few times a year. I should be used to it.

I looked again at the lunch I bought from the cafeteria and almost instantly felt sad. Remember the phrase the bark is worse than its bite? Yeah, this food may look like the bomb but the flavour doesn't match up.

I picked up a French fry and began to chew it, only thankful that it at LEAST seemed salted, but a few more French fries later, I decided I should just wait till I got home. There's always better food there.

I took up my belongings and headed over to my class which would be just after lunch. And it was, by Persephone, my least favourite class.
Yet I look like the most enthusiastic when it came to the responses I gave in the class... which says something. I'm not sure she'll like me for long though, especially since I kept having to fact-check her.

Why did I even put myself in this class though? It's not mandatory.

I shifted about in my seat just when the door opened and the most beautiful curly-haired woman I've seen walked in.

Pausing my music and taking out my earbuds, I gave her my attention. She looked like a sister visiting or a family member of some sort. I refrained from working my brows when she mildly waved them took a seat and lent a smile to me.

"Good afternoon. You're here for religion class?" Even her voice sounded silky.

And her presence seems familiar, but I know I haven't met her in person.

"Yeah," I furrowed my brows this time. Wait, "What happened to Ms. Jacklyn?"

"She has called in sick for the week. I'll be her substitute until then."

I quirked my brows. She's never taken a day off.

"Hm. That's weird." That felt like the partial truth, but I wasn't planning to push my limits today. "I hope her recovery is smooth."

She nodded with a meagre smile before turning her attention to the syllabus.

I sighed and played my music once more. I was vibing to cherry blossom and electric love until I sensed the bell going off. 

I watched as the people walked into my class talking to each other, some holding hands and others entertaining themselves quite nicely on the phone. My nail flicking had started quietly and subconsciously. The substitute standing up was what distracted me from further doing it. She had an amazing figure.

"Alright everyone," No doubt, She got the students' attention quickly. Especially the guys. Which made me force myself not to roll my eyes as I put up my earbuds. "Ms. Jacklyn isn't well and called in sick until next Tuesday. She says you're up to par with her syllabus, a bit ahead even, so she's gonna resume things with you when she reaches back." she looked around and for a second I thought she was surveying me in my seat. "Take this time to do as you will. I'm Ms. Pettis, Madison Pettis. But I don't like feeling old with the titles so you can just say, Maddy or Tammy." She smiled and clapped her hand once before telling us to go ahead and make use of the time, I can already see the low attendance that will take place. 

Or the amount of flirting that'll ensue.

I looked around and saw the people in here had formed little or large groups or even just paired up and were talking or playing games with each other. And I was literally the single one out.