chapter 7

February 5, 2036

The school was abuzz with what would happen at the dance this Saturday. The girls were speculating who would go with whom to the dance while being very picky. They didn't want a boy of such stature, height or popularity yet would expect many guys to ask them. I just held my breath and tried -keyword tried- to shut out whatever they were saying as I made my way to my English afternoon class that Mr. McFadden taught. This week would be so long, and as it is, I was being treated like a baby at home. Things were happening so fast yet so slow at the same time and it was annoying. 

I sat in the empty classroom and pulled out my food. I prayed to all the DEITIES that my brother nor Eva would find me. I've been pissed with them since last month. I don't need them to be surveying my every move and that's exactly what they've been doing for the last three weeks. I'm not a danger to myself. Maybe to some people that try the right idea on the wrong bitch, but otherwise, I'm just cool, loyal, humble, optimistic, open to meeting new peop-

"Hi, is this seat taken?"

That has to be the cheesiest line ever and Abosk has more swag than you, get away from me.

I looked up at the person who owned the voice only to realize it was the guy who actively participated in class. I don't know his name, but...

"No, it's not." I put away my half-eaten lunch, somewhat glad that he came as a reason to put it up. "What's up? need help with a project?"

"No, uh, I guess you were escaping from that hustle and bustle of the people in the hallway?"

I nodded and he proceeded with a conversation. Like, just like that. I'm guessing that extrovert just adopted this introvert because I was stuck listening to and felt captivated by what he was saying.

And for the rest of the week, that pattern continued. Whether I had a class with him or not, in the evening around free period or during lunch before English, we'd talk. It was a decent conversation, though we didn't talk about half the things I'd be used to talking about with my family. That's one thing about being friends with outsiders you know wouldn't understand.

So it's now Friday evening and Sabrina, who had made herself somewhat distant, was waiting for me to finish retrieving my stuff from my locker before we could leave. We were planning to just stay home tomorrow night while everyone else would be at the dance. She complained that we had barely seen each other this week and we needed more bonding time. And I can't deny that she was so right on that.

"What movies are we gonna watch tomorrow? I was thinking we could do a mixture of Disney and Marvel movies. I haven't seen those in a while." And her brain wandered off as quick as that.

I giggled at her before noticing her smile fade as she looked behind me. I could swear I saw the smallest eye roll before I turned around to look at who she was looking at.

I really don't like him. I heard her think and tried not to furrow my brows at her.

T'Jharr, the guy I've been talking to all week approached us and took my hands into his the minute he was close enough. My breath nearly got caught in my throat.

He stood there smiling for a while before he opened his mouth and asked me the question of the topic we've desperately escaped this entire week. I kinda wish he wasn't interested. I also kinda wish he wasn't the good guy he's showing himself to be. Cause it was harder to turn it down.

"I've not known you for a long time," he began to pull something from his pocket, "And I know this might be too much for this particular occasion. But would you do me the favour of being my partner at the dance tomorrow?" He pulled out this bracelet and placed it in my hands.